Electric Metre Change

On top of the HW cylinder tank is a Sadia 3Kw immersion heater, but this is not wired to anything up so is redundant!
Fair enough. I presume that you checked that there was not a second one on the side of the cylinder (usually near the bottom)?
The chest freezer in my outhouse which is quite large and only 1/4 full with a dodgy door seal from probably being outside may point to the consumption overnight? Can't think it being anything else? I will check my readings on both tariffs before bed and again in the morning.
I look forward to seeing the readings. Something here 'does not add up'. If your fridge and freezer really were using as much electricity as your figures have suggested in just 4-5 hours at night, over a 24h period they alone would be using far more than your total electricity consumption!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Have just checked and the metre has switched over to the night rate. I just boiled kettle to check and the night rate started counting rapidly.

The E10 tariff does have a 2.5hr slot between 10pm - 12.30am but that states storage heating only? And the clock is set to gmt and showing current time of 9.30pm.

Now, I don't understand this now! confused.com

Maybe I will double check with Eon on my tariff times tomorrow but they emailed those times to me a few days ago.

Have just checked and the metre has switched over to the night rate. I just boiled kettle to check and the night rate started counting rapidly. ... The E10 tariff does have a 2.5hr slot between 10pm - 12.30am but that states storage heating only? And the clock is set to gmt and showing current time of 9.30pm. ... Now, I don't understand this now! confused.com ... Maybe I will double check with Eon on my tariff times tomorrow but they emailed those times to me a few days ago.
Check by all means, but I think you should be careful not to tell them too much :) It sounds as if your installation is wired such that everything (not just the storage heating which you don't have) enjoys those two 2.5h 'daytime' cheap slots as well as the 5h night-time one - in other words, you're getting cheap electricity (for everything) for 10 hours per day - which may or may not be what they intend (it obviously differs from what they wrote to you, which indicated that, somehow, only storage and waters heaters would enjoy cheap rate for the two 2.5h slots)! That would mean that your kWh figures would make much more sense - and also makes it less likely that it would be in your financial interests to change from 'this' situation to a single tarrif - it ought to be easy enough for you to do the sums, if you can find out what standing charge (or equivalent) and kWh charge there would be for a single-rate tariff. Maybe what you are enjoying is what E.ON actually intend - so perhaps you should find a 'careful' way of asking them specifically whether your whole installation gets chep electricity during the two 2.5h 'daytime' slots.

Kind Regards, John

Have just checked and the metre has switched over to the night rate. I just boiled kettle to check and the night rate started counting rapidly. ... The E10 tariff does have a 2.5hr slot between 10pm - 12.30am but that states storage heating only? And the clock is set to gmt and showing current time of 9.30pm. ... Now, I don't understand this now! confused.com ... Maybe I will double check with Eon on my tariff times tomorrow but they emailed those times to me a few days ago.
Check by all means, but I think you should be careful not to tell them too much :) It sounds as if your installation is wired such that everything (not just the storage heating which you don't have) enjoys those two 2.5h 'daytime' cheap slots as well as the 5h night-time one - in other words, you're getting cheap electricity (for everything) for 10 hours per day - which may or may not be what they intend (it obviously differs from what they wrote to you, which indicated that, somehow, only storage and waters heaters would enjoy cheap rate for the two 2.5h slots)! That would mean that your kWh figures would make much more sense - and also makes it less likely that it would be in your financial interests to change from 'this' situation to a single tarrif - it ought to be easy enough for you to do the sums, if you can find out what standing charge (or equivalent) and kWh charge there would be for a single-rate tariff. Maybe what you are enjoying is what E.ON actually intend - so perhaps you should find a 'careful' way of asking them specifically whether your whole installation gets chep electricity during the two 2.5h 'daytime' slots.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John.

It seems like I am getting cheap electricity for 10 hours a day but not at the times specified by EON.

it appears I am getting cheap electricity all night (10pm - 8am) or 9pm to 7am) depending on the clock GMT hour?

This morning at 7.30am (6.30am GMT on clock adjacent to metre) the night reading was still counting and the day reading hadn't moved.

Then at 8.05am (7.05am GMT on clock adjacent to metre) it had switched over to the day tariff.

It doesn't appear from my bills that the GMT hour difference gets changed, i.e Do I have to put my washing machine on after 9pm or 10pm depending on time of year?

Sponsored Links
It seems like I am getting cheap electricity for 10 hours a day but not at the times specified by EON. it appears I am getting cheap electricity all night (10pm - 8am) or 9pm to 7am) depending on the clock GMT hour?
Fair enough - and, obviously, during that 10h. all of the electricity usage is at cheap rate. That's the same as my E7, except that my 7-hour cheap night-time period has become 10 hours for you. The day/night readings you've reported make more sense with a 10h cheap period.

This obviously is not the same as what EON has told you, so you can't be sure that it is what they 'intend'. What you have to decide is the exent to which you want to get clarification from them, and what you want to tell them. As I said, the change to a single-rate tariff might not end up cheaper for you than what you currently have - if you could find out details of EON's charges for a single-rate tariff, we could work that out.
It doesn't appear from my bills that the GMT hour difference gets changed, i.e Do I have to put my washing machine on after 9pm or 10pm depending on time of year?
There's nothing that the bills can do to adjust for the GMT/BST change - all they know is what electricity has been used during the period (whatever that may be) whilst the meter was switched to night rate. So, yes, you have to alter when you put your WM on according to the time of year.

Kind Regards, John

It seems like I am getting cheap electricity for 10 hours a day but not at the times specified by EON. it appears I am getting cheap electricity all night (10pm - 8am) or 9pm to 7am) depending on the clock GMT hour?
Fair enough - and, obviously, during that 10h. all of the electricity usage is at cheap rate. That's the same as my E7, except that my 7-hour cheap night-time period has become 10 hours for you. The day/night readings you've reported make more sense with a 10h cheap period.

This obviously is not the same as what EON has told you, so you can't be sure that it is what they 'intend'. What you have to decide is the exent to which you want to get clarification from them, and what you want to tell them. As I said, the change to a single-rate tariff might not end up cheaper for you than what you currently have - if you could find out details of EON's charges for a single-rate tariff, we could work that out.
There's nothing that the bills can do to adjust for the GMT/BST change - all they know is what electricity has been used during the period (whatever that may be) whilst the meter was switched to night rate. So, yes, you have to alter when you put your WM on according to the time of year.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John.

I will try and get some rates so I can do the maths.

It does seem strange that a I am using 10 hours continuous cheap electric (9pm-7am) when this differs from the times on the normal e10 tariff. do you think EON set this? Is it up to them what time slots they offer?

Cheers for all your help, really appreciated :)

Thanks John. I will try and get some rates so I can do the maths.
The sums are obviously very simply once you have the rate etc. figures.
It does seem strange that a I am using 10 hours continuous cheap electric (9pm-7am) when this differs from the times on the normal e10 tariff. do you think EON set this? Is it up to them what time slots they offer?
As I think I've probably said, what you have is exactly the same as my E7 (except that mine is 7 hours rather than 10) - my meter switches from day to night rate for 7 hours overnight and all the electricity I use during that period simply tots up on the meter's night reading and gets charged at the cheap rate. That's clearly how your house is also wired. To get the sort of tariff EON described to you would require a significantly more complicated set-up- since, amongst other things, it would require storage heaters to be metered as 'cheap units' but all other electricity usage to be metered as 'day units' at the same time during the two 2.5 hour slots they mentioned. What we don't know is what sort of set-up they think/intend you have! It's probably best to discover the rates and do the sums before you start asking them about that!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back