Gas leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a job just now where the tightness failed (20mb drop in 1 minute). The meter was outside, and the supply to the house went into the floor. It then surfaced in the living room (restrictor elbow) and also in the kitchen (hob) and extension (boiler). How would I go about trying to find the leak, where would I start?

I couldnt isolate the gas fire because the cap wouldnt come off of the restrictor elbow. I then thought about the hob but all that was boxed in, and the boiler was ok. I didnt have the time to do it tonight so will be going back tomorrow.

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Sponsored Links
r u CORGI registered ?

20mbar drop im 1 min , hope the house supply is isolated and capped off , if you anit RGI or haven`t got a clue then ring transco ASAP

Likewise you can't leave a leak that large (you did the T.T with the pilot off didn't you?). Get Transco round there. Don't know how your gonna sleep tonight if youv'e left it on.

Sponsored Links
Of course I capped it!!!

Im really conscious about everything, and dont even like leaving them on when they're witihin the allowable limits

I just need advice on tracing the leak as Ive never had to do it before

Thanks

My advise is check all visible pipe work

if not there re pipe the system, cheaper in the long run

also your questions worry me IF you are an RGI?

this is basic stuff matey

Basic if you've done it, but I never have!

I know what to do (check pipe work, soldered and compression joints etc etc) but just wanted some tips on anything else that could help

How about a gas sniffer?

You isolate all appliances one at a time to ensure they are not the leak, if you isolate all the appliances and it still leaks then you cut the pipework and cap it to find the leaking section. If I were you though I would ring transco and let them sniff out the leak and then go round and repair it.

ollski said:
You isolate all appliances one at a time to ensure they are not the leak, if you isolate all the appliances and it still leaks then you cut the pipework and cap it to find the leaking section. If I were you though I would ring transco and let them sniff out the leak and then go round and repair it.

Like I said, at the time I couldnt isolate the gad fire beacuse the cap wouldnt come off of the elbow and the hob's supply was all boarded in. Will go back tomorrow

How about a decent gas sniffer then?

ALso, can you call Transco out just to sniff out the leak?

newcomers said:
ollski said:

Like I said, at the time I couldnt isolate the gad fire beacuse the cap wouldnt come off of the elbow and the hob's supply was all boarded in.

Pull off all the boarding and get some grips on the restrictor elbow cap.....and ring transco while you nip off for brekkie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back