Gas leak

DOn't expect toooo much from sniffers. They're temperature sensitive, all sorts of smelly things set them off, even leak detection fluid, and you can wallk into a room reeking of gas and they won't register any increase over outside. That's not to say they aren't useful. The cheapo pen style ones are good value if not quite as sensitive.

20mbar a minute you should be able to smell, or even hear! CHeck the flexy connectors on the meter, they can split, as can meter cap rubber washers.

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
Newcomer, just to set my mind at rest could you email me your CORGI number so that I can feel comfortable about safely giving you technical advice.

My email is in my profile!

Tony

Erm no

After 2 hours, I manged to find and repair 4 leaks

1 was on the boiler just before the gas valve
another was on the connection to the hob
Last one was on the supply to gas fire. It went into concrete so I capped it as low as I could.

Left it safe, was only dropping 0.5 mb in 2 minutes, thats ok isnt it?

EDIT: What I meant was, I know its ok as long as its within the alowed limits (which it is) but would you guys have tried to find the remaining .5mb drop, or just been happy to leave it?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
That was with appliances on

With appliances off there wasnt a drop

I thought the only time you wasnt allowed a drop was when it was a new installation or when there was a smell of gas?

If the appliances are on then the allowance is dependent on the meter type and 0.5 mbar is acceptable if there's no smell.

If the appliances are isolated there should be "no perceptable loss"; and 0.5 mbar drop on a water gauge is close enough for me - although some customers will even smell that.

I am a little worried now because Newcomer has refused to tell me his CORGI number and the only logical reason for that would be that because he is not in fact registered.

I will not be giving him any detailed advice and would ask others to take care.

Tony

Agile said:
I am a little worried now because Newcomer has refused to tell me his CORGI number and the only logical reason for that would be that because he is not in fact registered.

Tony

I have never told you my CORGI number but you give me advise.

I can see your point but how do you decipher.

scatmanjohn said:
Agile said:

Tony

I have never told you my CORGI number be you give me advise.

I can see your point but how do you decipher.

I have never told you mine either

He is obviously reg'd lets cut him some slack, its better that he ask questions here and get good solid answers than just have a stab at summink aint it?

Agile said:

Tony

I wouldn't tell you mine either Tony, perfectly happy to be reasonably anonymous on here. Would this escalation in the policing of gas advice also apply to students or trainees and those with a general interest in the theory of gas work :?: ;)

Agile said:

Tony

so how does it work if WE do give "detailed" advice to a RGI on a PUBLIC DIY website

will all those jolly good non RGI pass it by and not attempt to do what you describe

corgiman said:
Agile said:

Tony

so how does it work if WE do give "detailed" advice to a RGI on a PUBLIC DIY website

will all those jolly good non RGI pass it by and not attempt to do what you describe

That is a very valid point.

scatmanjohn said:
corgiman said:
Agile said:

Tony

That is a very valid point.

welll I was due one mate ;)

Agile said:
FFS stop pursuing your personal vendetta against people who prefer to remain anonymous.

You have no divinely-bestowed right to demand, request or otherwise seek out the CORGI number of an anonymous forum member. He hasn't asked you specifically for any help or advice, and you're perfectly at liberty to ignore him, so please do exactly that and leave everyone else to make up their own minds.

There is a legal difference between giving specific advice to an individual which encourages him to do something he is not competent to do.

Anyone can read up gas engineering at the library or on these forums and then go and blow himself up. The difference is that no one encouraged him to do that.

Let me tell you about a call I had from this fellow last week. He said he was on a gas course at the local college and needed to install a boiler as part of the course work. He had fitted a Worcester HiFlo 400 for a customer of his !!! He wanted me to come and sign it off for CORGI and B Regs and also for his course work.

Ever helpful, I explained that whilst I could not sign it off as I had not installed it, but I was prepared to commission it and to sign it in respect of his college portfolio. Not surprisingly I did not hear from him again.

As newcomer has not been able to confirm to me privately that he is registered then I have to assume for the time being that he is not! I dont think that CORGI would be pleased to see me giving advice on gas work to anyone who is unregistered.

As for the regulars its quite obvious that they are CORGi registered from their knowledge!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back