Gas leak

I have no problem with newcomer having done a short course. They are a feature of the real world and suit some people.

I have no problem with him asking very basic questions and I have a predisposition to helping people.

However, when I ask him to privately tell me his CORGi number so that I can feel comfortable, he refuses ( almost rudely too ). I feel that is an unfriendly attitude towards me. To any genuine person I am happy to give advice on the phone when they encounter a problem with a boiler repair and several of the people who post here do just that. CORGI numbers are in the public domain anyway on their web site and have to be quoted if asked for when doing gas work.

I would not go to repair a boiler to anyone who refused to give me his name!

Tony

Sponsored Links
corgiman said:
milky bars on you then chap??
Mebbee - but this is something of a flood after a drought caused by some big jobs and slow payers, and the tidal wave is already gushing down that chasm in the dry and dusty ground that is my bank overdraft...

Agile wrote:

I will not be giving him any detailed advice and would ask others to take care.

Tony

newcomers said:
That was with appliances on

With appliances off there wasnt a drop

I thought the only time you wasnt allowed a drop was when it was a new installation or when there was a smell of gas?

That qualifies as sufficient knowledge to me!

If he is Corgi and he needs help he can have it

If he isn't Corgi we cant stop him doing it anyway! The best we can do in the interests of safety is give our best advice rather than to leave him blunder through and make a mistake that we could have picked up on.

Newcomer. I do not dislike you or anyone else coming into the industry. I have several mates who have come into it in as a second trade. What i do dislike and have always said is considering we are getting such a heavily regulated industry regards Corgi ,part L ,part p and ACS why are entry criteria being dumbed down. Look at how many Corgi strike off a year .Now if they are that bad why were they ever accepted in the first place (surely it would not be just for the money). And when ACS first came out about 8 years ago i was one of the first to take it which then involved 1000 questions over 2 days and 3 days practical and i can assure you capping an plugging was involved. But what happened too many failed it so it was cut down in intensity. To such an extent that 2 of my mates passed it in 7 hours whilst also helpin the instructor take the class. Personally i don`t give a sh#te if someone is Corgi reg because some of best i have seen aren`t an some of the worst are. But if someone is out there with a corgi badge and the public perceive this a mark of excellence can they not be properly trained wether this is 3 months 6 months or 2 years. As i said previously not havin a go at you just the people who allow someone like yourself out there with peoples lives in there hands

Sponsored Links
Namsag surely the entry criteria aren't being dumbed down. Before corgi (before my time) there were no requirements much, then when you and I did ACS we passed it easily with a few days training. I only got a few ambiguous questions wrong and only had to look up a handful of the 1000, and I'm not clever. Now they are at least insisting on some experience, though the "80 hours per appliance" obviously had to get watered down. I still haven't spent 80 hours on Warm Air...

I was fitting boilers within 6 weeks of turning up to find out what ACS stood for. I reckon I knew enough to be safe, even if not what size some fittings were, or how to approach some of the practicalities. Stopping to ask those things, is hardly dangerous.

Agreed stopping to ask what fitting to use is not dangerous, my point is this is a really basic thing that should have been done during trainin and if this has not been done what else has not been taught that could lead to a dangerous situation . I honestly don`t know what the answer is to making sure people are properly trained , i was lucky enough to do a proper gas engineering apprenticeship with some of the best engineers an instructors about .And do have very high standards regards safety after nearly 30 years i have seen so many people nearly killed or maimed .Which makes me genuinly concerned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back