Gas leak

Agile said:
As newcomer has not been able to confirm to me privately that he is registered then I have to assume for the time being that he is not!
That's exactly my point - you don't have to assume anything - you could remain open-minded pending further information.

Frankly, if I were an RGI, you're the last person I'd give my number to. Actually, make that the person in the queue just after the last person...

Sponsored Links
that is fair enough, but i do believe that newcomer is a RGI but a "fast tracker" and as such as not had the benefit of a good all round day in day out training program like wot I did and many of the other chaps here.

but tony if you were to give advise to a recognised RGI on this site is inticment form non rgi's to try it.

if we were to take the premise that all us RGI's should not give away "trade secrets" we should NEVER do it here. And should just give the advice of "call an RGI" everytime some punter asks of some tech advice.

Nine times out of ten non rgi's ask these not to do it themselves but to ensure that they have a good lad doing their work.

and its this premise that makes me think that not broadcasting my reg number or real name is a good idea as I dont want any come back from any wag that thinks he can do gas work because he read one of my posts and kills his wife cos he did not do it properly.

its a jungle out there tony

Sponsored Links
I have to assume for the time being that he is not!

Perhaps my dear, he just couldn't give a damn what you choose to assume.
If you're going to give gas advice on a public forum what difference does it make whether ONE of the readers is registered or not?

ChrisR said:
...what difference does it make...
Ah, but him being paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get him. ;)

Newcomer. To be honest only person who is making you look a P###K is yourself . You are out there working with peoples lives in your hands, and asking really basic questions and can`t even get into a restrictor elbow (yes some are awkard but always someway to remove top) and don`t know sizes for capping an plugging. You say you are willing to learn . To be honest i would suggest you stop working and go and find somewhere that trains people properly because you may kill someone by your inadequate training. I am not being nasty just concerned. Because if it does happen you will be the one up before the court not your instructors

namsag said:
Newcomer. To be honest only person who is making you look a P###K is yourself . You are out there working with peoples lives in your hands, and asking really basic questions and can`t even get into a restrictor elbow (yes some are awkard but always someway to remove top) and don`t know sizes for capping an plugging. You say you are willing to learn . To be honest i would suggest you stop working and go and find somewhere that trains people properly because you may kill someone by your inadequate training. I am not being nasty just concerned. Because if it does happen you will be the one up before the court not your instructors

Like I said, I havent got the experience and Id never do anything that would endanger anyone. Just because I dont know what size caps / plugs go into what doesnt mean I dont know whats safe and what isnt. I havent had the experience of having to cap appliances off before, thats why i thought id ask and find out now before I get into that situation.

Like many of you come across more advanced things that youve never seen before, Im coming across more basic things and like to check that what Im doing is correct.

I know I may come across as not knowing anything and just doing any old work, but im not like that. I take great care in my work and always seek advice, whether it be on here, a fellow work mate or corgi themselves.

You mention training again, but where in the acs exams does it require you to know the size of plugs or caps for appliances? YES i do need to know them, but that never came up in my training or exams, and I doubt there is a college that dedicates a training course for it.

I appreciate you lot not liking me because I did a fast track course, but if its on offer then why shouldnt I take it? I wouldve much preferred to do have done a 5 year apprenticeship but I'm now 26 and getting married next year, so decided to go the way I did.

Sorry if I have offended anybody, but honestly, if you were to see how I work, you'd know Id never put anyones life at risk. I just need to better my practical skills and learn more about all the fittings

Thanks

A brilliant, humble, and balanced post - well done newcomers, and all power to you.

nice one

you stick to it newcomers

see we aint that bad :)

well soft is but he obviuosly has had a few tonight :)

corgiman said:
well soft is but he obviuosly has had a few tonight :)
Am in a good mood 'cos I've had about a month's worth of income arrive in the last two days. Sometimes life's like that, and you have to savour the moments when they come.

Hic...

Well I'm happy 4 ya Iv seen nowt arrive 4 7 week, hope me vat cheque clears,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back