Geldhill Systemate 2000 with multiple faults

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Gledhill Systemate 2000 with multiple faults and I could really use some advice on whether or not it is worth repairing or if I should replace it with a normal hot water tank.

The Systemate has been acting up for a while, not calling for heat from the boiler even with the heating on full, one of the pumps runs non-stop (the one on the right), and now it appears there is a small leak coming from inside. We've been using the emergency switch for hot water but this also sends heat to the radiators sometimes.

Can anyone please suggest what they think may be wrong with it, whether or not it can be fixed, and if it could how much would you expect it to cost?

I'd really appreciate any help/advice anyone can give as at the moment I think I'm probably going to have to replace the whole system.

Thanks in advance, Tom

Sponsored Links
Tom, The PCB's on these are very unreliable and very expensive. Not suggesting your board is faulty though. There are 3 sensors on these which should be looked at first if you're having trouble. £20 each. A leak from the storage tank is terminal. Not worth spending more than £200. If that fixes it then fair enough, but if the tank is leaking then fit a new system.
You could keep your existing boiler (if its OK) and fit an unvented cylinder in place of the thermal store with the required controls upgrade. If your boiler is a standard efficiency, then upgrade to condensing. I love spending other peoples money! :)

As stated if your tank is leaking not worth messing with it.

Perhaps cheapest option would be combi boiler and rip the existing system
out.

out.

and what combi is going to perform the same as a thermal store ? :confused:

Sponsored Links

out.

Didn't say anything about performance. A replacement gledhill is going
to set you back over a grand. I can put a combi in for less.
People are just interested in cheap these days.

out.

You could fit an unvented in place of a thermal store, and other thermal stores are cheaper too if required. Im sorry if you only attract customers who want cheap, however its not the same for everyone. If you can fit a combi in place of a tank and boiler for less than a grand and do a good job, I'd be interested in giving you some work :D

out.

You could fit an unvented in place of a thermal store, and other thermal stores are cheaper too if required. Im sorry if you only attract customers who want cheap, however its not the same for everyone. If you can fit a combi in place of a tank and boiler for less than a grand and do a good job, I'd be interested in giving you some work :D

I can't help attracting the people who just want cheap. I am surrounded
by them where I live!
Unvented is an option but given the gledhill
is perhaps old so is the boiler so it's scrap the lot and new boiler with 5 yr guarantee will sell it for most customers. Unvented is ok but there will
be plenty of messing about with it and repiping so I would go for
the scrap the lot option. Depends on size of house etc.

Last year I took out 7 thermal stores, in their place I fitted 2 combis and 5 UVs with Atag system boilers. The main problem is the boilers are often undersized for the house due to the way the store works so UVs can be an issue, hence I agree often boiler as well, but when I explain to customers about the reduction if flow which they've come accustomed too they're usually happy to spend the extra money.
Next time I complain about house prices I'll remind myself of the alternative !

Can anyone please suggest what they think may be wrong with it
It's a piece of badly designed, unreliable junk, which attempts to solve problems that don't exist.

whether or not it can be fixed
Probably, but it won't stay fixed for long.

and if it could how much would you expect it to cost?
Far more than any sane person would be prepared to pay.

Best place for it is in a skip, and that was when it was new.
Get a normal cylinder fitted instead.

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate the advice.

I'll see what a local plumber say when they look at the boiler but if I can get away with it I'll just go with the unvented cylinder as the boiler's fine (and insured).

Thanks again, Tom

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate the advice.

I'll see what a local plumber say when they look at the boiler but if I can get away with it I'll just go with the unvented cylinder as the boiler's fine (and insured).

Thanks again, Tom

Your logic is flawed. Over the next 5 years you will pay £500+ for insurance
on the boiler.
A new boiler will come with its own 5 year warranty and therefore you can cancel the insurance saving £500.
Having an unvented installed will cost the install price of the unvented
+ the insurance on the boiler over the next 5 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back