Glowworm Swiftflow 80 Help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all got some issues with a glowworm swit flow 80 boiler. Rceently th fan was playing up causing the boiler to go out, after taking the fan apart and cleaning up it seems to be working fine, however since putting back togther things do not seem to be quite right, boiler lights and stays alight, main burners come on when C/H is wstiched on or turn hot tap on. However hot water is now only luke warm and the main burner instead of being the a nice blue flame now looks like the fires of hell itself (bright yellow).

Is it possible that I have put the fan back togther wrong (bear in mind I did not disconnect the electrical terminals, just used the main off switch). I intend to get it serviced properley but in the meantime is there anything else I can do.

Sponsored Links
Looks like you've bu**ered your boiler, don't use it until it's been ok'd by a gas safe engineer.

STOP!...call a registered gas safe engineer out to check your boiler. Opening up the combustion chamber is illegal and dangerous unless you are qualified to do so.

Sponsored Links
STOP!...call a registered gas safe engineer out to check your boiler. Opening up the combustion chamber is illegal and dangerous unless you are qualified to do so.

I have not opened up the combustion chamber I only had the flu fan out

How did you get the fan out without opening the combustion chamber?

The front panel,(4 screws and sight glass) is the combustion chamber cover. It forms part of the seal to keep the appliance safe, and the fan is considered to be part of the flue which is not DIYable.

The front panel,(4 screws and sight glass) is the combustion chamber cover. It forms part of the seal to keep the appliance safe, and the fan is considered to be part of the flue which is not DIYable.

Hi Mick you say the front Panel there seemed to be 2 front panels an inner and an outer one, after removing the main case of the boiler there was a large metal plate that appears to cover more or less the entire fornt of the boiler taking that off gave us access to the fan, underneath this plate is another plate which looks like it covers the burners, I only removed the top plate which gave access to the fan pump etc, not the inner one covering the burners.

Yep you've cracked it mate, the combustion chamber cover is the bigger front panel that you've openly admitted to removing. Get someone out that knows what they're doing to check it out

Even the slightest read of the forum rules and a few problems will show that we are not allowed to give advice on gas/combustion related issues.

As advised you need a gas reg engineer. But be aware this is a quite old boiler and many will think its time to replace it although I do repair a few for mean landlords.

Tony

Thanks all for your advice,

I had assumed allbeit incoreect that the cobution chamber is underneath the innermost cover as that is where the burner lives. Have spoken to a reg Gas Safe Engineer who is coming out this week to have a look for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back