Hot water cylinder temperature

Oh blimey - can't quite remember. Could be Magnesium.

Sponsored Links
If you've got a thermocouple and a proper temperature gauge why not take a profile of the temperatures from top to bottom, then you'll be in a better position to judge the scaling severity. If it really is scaled badly the quantity of hot water will be reduced to less than a bathfull, and the boiler loading on the (insulated!) heating coil will be low too, all pointing towards a new cylinder requirement.

BTW I once changed a direct copper cylinder for a customer based on the assumption that his neighbour's had just failed (and was 3/4 full of scale) and his wouldn't be far behind. What I removed was absolutely scale free and shiney inside - two years previous he had bought an electronic scale inhibitor from a car boot sale.
It only shows that some of them work some of the time on some water systems. That's all.

meldrew's_mate said:
If you've got a thermocouple and a proper temperature gauge why not take a profile of the temperatures from top to bottom, then you'll be in a better position to judge the scaling severity. If it really is scaled badly the quantity of hot water will be reduced to less than a bathfull, and the boiler loading on the (insulated!) heating coil will be low too, all pointing towards a new cylinder requirement.

I took the immersion out yesterday and its all shiny inside! Only the heat exchanger has scale on it and even then thats not all over...

So Once I get it all back together I think I'll use your idea and do a temperature profile of the outside of the cylinder :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back