Joining 6mm

In 2003 it would of been fine and accepted. Leave it be. 13 years on, it's still behaving....

It was shoved up from below and the hole in the plasterboard hidden with coving, which I'm now removing. I don't feel all that comfortable ignoring and hiding something like that.

Sponsored Links
In 2003 it would of been fine and accepted. Leave it be. 13 years on, it's still behaving....
That sounds like very sensible advice. I wonder how often, if ever, you (or any other electricians) have encountered problems arising in a (screwed terminals) JB which has been (satisfactorily) in place for a number of years??

Kind Regards, John

They're only rated at 32A (20A with four conductors)...
That's true - but have you (or anyone else) got any thoughts about the reason for the difference? The terminal block assemblies appear to be identical in the J803 and J804, the only difference being that the latter has one more 'terminal block'.

Kind Regards, John

I presume the extra terminal block, which would be for additional line conductors, would lead to extra heating.
They do specify them as: 32A - power and 20A lighting ???

Were I using it for additional CPCs I would still consider it 32A.

Sponsored Links
That sounds like very sensible advice. I wonder how often, if ever, you (or any other electricians) have encountered problems arising in a (screwed terminals) JB which has been (satisfactorily) in place for a number of years??

Kind Regards, John
Never on a joint box that has been properly installed. Even on very old installs with rubber and lead sheathed cable.

A 60A junction box with both conductors under all 4 screws must surely be be better than that push in rubbish? I've removed plenty of faulty push in connectors! I curse every time I have to fit a maintenance free joint box, and usually go out of my way to replace the cable etc. to avoid using them.

None of the cables are clipped so there's no strain relief. Is that "satisfactorily" in place?

I presume the extra terminal block, which would be for additional line conductors, would lead to extra heating.
Unless there spring terminals are far worse than I had imagined (and I'm sure they won't be), there should be no significant heating of any of them - so I frankly doubt that's the reason.
They do specify them as: 32A - power and 20A lighting ???
I don't recall having seen them do so in so many words. However, the fourth terminal block position (not used in the J803) is labelled 'loop' - which (as expected) presumably means that they intend it to be used in lighting circuits.

Kind Regards, John

None of the cables are clipped so there's no strain relief. Is that "satisfactorily" in place?
I meant "performing satisfactorily". As for the absence of strain relief, if the JB is 'inaccessible', then it's hardly likely to be disturbed, other than by rodents - and if they show their faces you have bigger problems, since (even if the JBs were 'MF' ones) they are far more likely to chew through the cables than to try to tug them out of the JB!

Kind Regards, John

Never on a joint box that has been properly installed. Even on very old installs with rubber and lead sheathed cable.
That's what I would have expected, and it certainly corresponds with my (limited) experience.

I'll be interested to hear of other electrician's experiences. Although the prohibition of inaccessible screw-terminal JBs 'sounds like a good idea', I cannot help but wonder whether it is not, in reality, "a solution to a non-existent (or, at least, incredibly rare) problem"!

... and I very much doubt that I will any longer be around when the day comes when sprung terminals have been in widespread domestic use for long enough me to be particularly confident (were I alive!) that their long-term performance was satisfactory! 'Accelerated' performance testing is all very well, but .....!!

Kind Regards, John

Unless there spring terminals are far worse than I had imagined (and I'm sure they won't be), there should be no significant heating of any of them - so I frankly doubt that's the reason.
I just assume three blocks and conductors with 32A will get warmer than two.
However, the more I think about it the dafter the limit seems.

I don't recall having seen them do so in so many words. However, the fourth terminal block position (not used in the J803) is labelled 'loop' - which (as expected) presumably means that they intend it to be used in lighting circuits.
Page 17.
http://download.hager.com/hagergrou...ation/Brochures/Hager17thEditionSolutions.pdf

Kind Regards, John

They have 32a or 20a embossed on the cover.
EDIT, just realised you meant the words power and lighting
They also stamp on them not to cover them, so I take it they are concerned with overheating.

Et voila, from the Hager catalogue
Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 20.19.57.png

Edit, dang, didn't see EFLI's reply :oops:

I just assume three blocks and conductors with 32A will get warmer than two.
Yes, but as I said, if any terminals in any JB (even if in a 'high-current' JB) get significantly warm, I would think that there is something very wrong with the terminals or design.
IHowever, the more I think about it the dafter the limit seems.
Quite.

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough, but it's just plain silly to draw any conclusions from that. What matters is the current. 20A is 20A, and 32A is 32A, whether in the context of a 'power' circuit (whatever that may be), a lighting circuit, or any other type of circuit (if any other types exist).

Kind Regards, John

They also stamp on them not to cover them, so I take it they are concerned with overheating.
Maybe - but, as I've said, if they are concerned about that, I would say that they really need to re-consider how satisfactory (indeed, safe) their terminal assemblies actually are!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back