landlords certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. im a landlord and just had my worcester 25 rsf i checked for landlords. certifcate the chap who came checked my meter said it was ok, turned on boiler and said blue flames was ok then went back to the meter and said the boiler was operating fine at 26 kw, checked the flue outside wasnt blocked and that it was secure to the boiler. is that how it should be done?seemed kind of basic. i though he'd have to take off the casing off the boiler to check seals or that the inside of the boiler hasnt rotted away etc or is that only servicing??

thanyou

Sponsored Links
Joel finds it quicker to measure the power to the boiler than measuring the burner pressure inside the boiler.

Thats still within the regulations and avoids any problems arising from opening the boiler.

I hope he also checked that there was an earth bond in place?

A good landlord would have the boiler serviced anually!!! An LGSR is ONLY a basic safety check!

Tony

Yes there is far more to it than that. Of course the case should come off. Check casing seals/sight glass. Check heat exchanger condition/leaks/corrosion/cracked burners/check for bridged/detached safety devices/check burner lockout etc etc etc. Check condition of gas run/joints. Make sure the boiler operates correctly. Advisable to check meter working pressure/gas leaks. And the rest....

Supposing an overheat thermostat on the heat exchanger was bridged with a paperclip? Not uncommon to find.

On the older Biasis the manufacturer conveniently covers the overheat reset button with a screwed cap. The cap should be removed to check the stat isn't jammed in with something suitable...I once found a stone wedged in there. :eek:

Unfortunately 70-80% of LGSR are fraudulent. Others may disagree but that's based on extensive spreadsheet data collected over several years. It's seen as a quick earner by many who have no conscience. Report the lazy s*d to corgi and request it's done properly.

The minimum checks required by the regs for a LGSC are flue, vents, Burner pressure /heat input,safe operation.Your guy seems to have covered all them points so has worked to the required minimum.

Pipework isnt covered on a LGSC but is advised to have a soundmess test carried out,so the bonding could have been overlooked.

The guys been at the meter so i'm sure he wont have found it too hard to tick or cross the bonding box on the form.(dont konw of any forms that dont have MEB as a pass/fail on them)

The concience of the gasman probably matches that of the landlord who wont rectify his faults and then try to get out of paying.

Sponsored Links
.........safe operation.Your guy seems to have covered all them points so has worked to the required minimum.

How can you posibly ascertain the boiler is opertating safety if you don't even take the case off. The safety devices could be hanging off or missing, the combustion chamber could be full of water from leaks. Too many installers taking the p**s with the checks. :rolleyes:

How can you check condition of burner with out removing cover. ?

Our LGSC are carried out the same time as a service. Makes life easier, although we could profit from LGSC and servicing at different times.

Strip the thing and shouldnt at the end say these screws were spares. :LOL:

If you’re anything like us you’ve seen a plumber of central heating engineer waltz in, spend five minutes tinkering, then leave a hefty bill at least once in your life. Cowboys aren’t the norm, but there are enough of them around to make many people looking for annual boiler servicing wary.

In the hope of demystifying what actually happens during your the course of your boiler being serviced, as well as providing you a checklist of items to make sure your boiler service engineer covers all the bases, we've summed up what happens during the process below.

Boiler flue output analysed

Pipework inspected, with ventilation and clearance check

Full testing of all boiler components and functionality

Disassembly and cleaning of key components

Replacement of any boiler components that are faulty or nearing end of life

Of course there’s a great deal more to it than that, but without becoming a boiler servicing engineer yourself you probably don’t need to know much more! So long as your boiler service incorporates those five broad requirements any run-of-the-mill problems will be detected and fixed.

Beware of annual safety checks, boiler safety checks and interim boiler service and quick boiler service packages. Sometimes these can seem like full annual boiler services, but on closer inspection they might cover only a fraction of the tasks that need to be carried out during a service.

Easier to copy the above from other web page, but it gives you something to go on.

Yes there is far more to it than that. Of course the case should come off. Check casing seals/sight glass. Check heat exchanger condition/leaks/corrosion/cracked burners/check for bridged/detached safety devices/check burner lockout etc etc etc. Check condition of gas run/joints. Make sure the boiler operates correctly. Advisable to check meter working pressure/gas leaks. And the rest....

Thats an aweful lot of work to expect Joel to do for just £45 !!!

All he currently does is whats needed to fill in the 20 odd questions on the CP12 form!

Tony

Went to a gas leak on Saturday where the boiler OF ideal E type had been serviced a few weeks ago. Pilot was burning yellow and vent had fly screen in it. How could anyone miss these important checks.

thats work reply. yes he said he did working pressure at meter and it fine. take his word!!! he also said no bonding at meter which i wuill sort out. he also called transo to fit handle on meter which i forgot to mentiion. checked the flue inside outside, said nice blue flame and boiler burning correct amount of gas. also he checked the boiler for some safety. he turned off boiler said the sound of sparking was good.took about 15mins. he said he d only take case off if it was suspect flame, or evident corossion on casing or if he servicing or if it was an older type boiler where fan blows air in. what ever that means. seems like ok job.agile seems to know alot so im happy with the job as he hasnt disagreed!! thanks again

Southpark, all in all I'd say what your man did was, probably, pretty reasonable.

I've thought about this one quite a bit, and decided there's no correct answer. The problem is that neither the manufacturers, corgi or anyone else says what has to be tested or checked.
Given any of the answers in the posts above, it's easy to tear any of them to bits.

Sure you can look at an overheat stat.
Is that how you test one? Certainly not.
So how DO you test one - there's no answer. You don't know the specification of the temperatures it should open and close at, you haven't got a means to test it anyway. And you'd probably damage it.

How do you test an APS - you disconnect the fan (something many people on ACS get wrong). Right so you've split the glued-together combustion chamber apart on an Ariston SX20, pulled a wire off the fan, glued it back together again, done the test then have to go in again and make good. Obviously not appropriate.

Even for a particular boiler you can't make a list without problems. Netaheat. Case seal extra important. So do you want to disturb it? It might have a water leak inside the combustion chamber, but there's asbestos in there. Do you want to take that apart?

We all know, (as BG found which changed their servicing policy) that taking things apart and putting them back together does cause wear and tear, so who pays for that - extra, or included in the fixed price? Make the engineers pay and you'll have trouble finding one who will do the test.

There's an argument that "Working Safely" is all that should be checked, which excludes anything to do with, for example, overheat conditions. Then you would maybe NOT have to take the case off.
FGA has a role here, but only if the manufacturers work to the same system. If you have an Ideal Icos on the second floor, you're stuffed - there's nowhere to put the probe.

It might be possible to put together a flow chart for all engineers to follow which would cover most appliances. Eg if you do FGA you don't need to look at the flame picture or whatever, positive case seals and you have to do this, others that etc. The trouble I see is that too many boiler blokes are either too lazy, or too thick, to do it. It just wouldn't happen.
Only today I was assessing someone on appliances. He thought he was great, but after surveying a water heater and an OF boiler he hadn't tested the FFD on either, the vitiation device or the thermostat. He never did, and he's never had a problem so "why should he now"? He could not believe anyone actually tested those things. He's apprenticed, and 15 years in the job.

Remember the vast majority of rented accommodation goes without a landlord's check, because it isn't enforced. If you get someone doing basic checks and acting correctly on what he sees, you're lucky.

thanks alot chris r. bit technical for me but it looks like he did the minimum required to meet all the safety criteria on the certirficate. i guess its all about people covering themselves. ie if its not on the form to test this or do that then if a problem arose due to that part which wasnt legally required to test then the engineer isnt liable as hes just done whats required according to the form.glancing throught it , ventuialtion, flue intergrity , and correct/safe kw of boiler. many thamks again

If you have an Ideal Icos on the second floor, you're stuffed - there's nowhere to put the probe.

Unless you just use the flue sampling nipple that is ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back