Metal enclosure with 3rd amendment.

Oh yes, and my meter is made of plastic. I know its not covered by BS7671 but wondered if the non-combustible requirement will seep into the supply regulations. Or maybe a meter has never caught fire…? ... Oh yes, and the DNO-supplied REC2 isolator is made of plastic…….
Indeed - and their meters, and all modern cutouts - and, indeed, the vast majority of all components in a domestic electrical installation ... not to mention the actual cables.

To extend the question BAS posed, I wonder if there is evidence that plastic CUs suffer significantly more serious heat/combustion incidents than do any of the other plastic components of a domestic electrical installation.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Most of what is needed to disconnect a supply in case of over heating is already in every RCD. It would require very little to modify a RCD to disconnect in the event of over heating.

Most of what is needed to disconnect a supply in case of over heating is already in every RCD. It would require very little to modify a RCD to disconnect in the event of over heating.
Yes, it's often occurred to me that we could have something like that. However, as with the more general issue were discussing, the question is whether serious overheating/combustion in CUs is sufficiently common to warrant/justify changes in every electrical installation in the country.

Of course, if 'combustion' has already started, disconnecting the supply will not necessarily stop it.

Kind Regards, John

"Where is the evidence which shows that there was a problem with non-metallic CUs of sufficient significance to justify this new regulation, bearing in mind that the people writing the regulations are supposed to be scientists and engineers, and that if they create new regulations which cannot be justified by formal cost-benefit analyses then that makes them superstitious charlatans who deserve nothing but contempt and ridicule."
AFAIAA the 'evidence' was a report by the London Fire Brigade, which indicated that a large proportion of fires they attended appeared to have a source within the service cupboard.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I meant to add that their concern was not just the possibility of a fire being started by overheating of the CU, but also that a plastic enclosure (some of the cheaper ones are highly flammable) would add a significant amount of fuel to a fire that had started somewhere else within the service cupboard.
I guess the LFB have never seen the amount of junk the average householder stores in that area!

So what will happen in 2017 if an electrician needs to add a circuit.

Will he need to change a plastic CU to metal ?

"Where is the evidence which shows that there was a problem with non-metallic CUs of sufficient significance to justify this new regulation, bearing in mind that the people writing the regulations are supposed to be scientists and engineers, and that if they create new regulations which cannot be justified by formal cost-benefit analyses then that makes them superstitious charlatans who deserve nothing but contempt and ridicule."
AFAIAA the 'evidence' was a report by the London Fire Brigade, which indicated that a large proportion of fires they attended appeared to have a source within the service cupboard.
I see. Given that many such cupboards would also contain a plastic cutout, very probably a plastic-enclosed meter and possibly plastic-enclosed Henley's, isolators, RCDs etc., do you know if they narrowed down the source to the CU (rather than 'something in the cupboard') in many cases?

Kind Regards, John

Sorry, I meant to add that their concern was not just the possibility of a fire being started by overheating of the CU, but also that a plastic enclosure (some of the cheaper ones are highly flammable) would add a significant amount of fuel to a fire that had started somewhere else within the service cupboard. I guess the LFB have never seen the amount of junk the average householder stores in that area!
As you are presumably implying, that would would, in itself, be pretty daft!

Kind Regards, John

So what will happen in 2017 if an electrician needs to add a circuit. Will he need to change a plastic CU to metal ?
A good question, the answer to which I'm not certain. Given that one can, for example, add an RCD socket to a non-RCD-protected circuit without having to bring the rest of the circuit up to current regs, I suspect that the answer may well be 'no' (and, BTW, the issue arises from 1st January 2016).

Kind Regards, John

I see. Given that many such cupboards would also contain a plastic cutout, very probably a plastic-enclosed meter and possibly plastic-enclosed Henley's, isolators, RCDs etc., do you know if they narrowed down the source to the CU (rather than 'something in the cupboard') in many cases?

Kind Regards, John
No, I don't know that. Given the mistakes in the article that BAS linked to earlier, I rather suspect that they were looking for evidence to support an assumption, rather than an objective investigation. I have reason to believe that a particular manufacturer co-operated with the investigation, and funnily enough had developed a metal domestic CU before the example was included in the draft amendment...

No, I don't know that. Given the mistakes in the article that BAS linked to earlier, I rather suspect that they were looking for evidence to support an assumption, rather than an objective investigation.
That is obviously what I've feared.
I have reason to believe that a particular manufacturer co-operated with the investigation, and funnily enough had developed a metal domestic CU before the example was included in the draft amendment...
It's not the first time you've told us things like that, although this case is perhaps slightly indirect. Do not BSI, IET or even JPEL feel uncomfortable about situations in which it appears that BS7671 may be being influenced, sometimes (as at present) in a manner that results in significant wide-ranging changes, by considerations and interests which many people would probably regard as 'inappropriate'?

Kind Regards, John

IIR cut-outs and meters are made from flame retardant/flame resistant plastics and always have been.

Certainly the get destroyed in fires and suffer from overheating but as far as I know they do not actually burn themselves

Do not BSI, IET or even JPEL feel uncomfortable about situations in which it appears that BS7671 may be being influenced, sometimes (as at present) in a manner that results in significant wide-ranging changes, by considerations and interests which many people would probably regard as 'inappropriate'?
John, yes, and there are rules intended to prevent inappropriate behaviour in committee meetings, that apply to all BSI meetings including JPEL/64. However, remember that the members of such committees are expected to provide their expertise. If one has particular knowledge that is not widely known (not an unusual situation) then he/she is expected to share the results of that knowledge with the committee. If a manufacturer had indeed cooperated with the LFB then it is possible that they would know the results of that cooperation before the rest of the committee. Their terms of employment would probably dictate that the knowledge of those results would be used to try to gain a commercial advantage. That does not necessarily imply 'inappropriate' behaviour.

John, yes, and there are rules intended to prevent inappropriate behaviour in committee meetings, that apply to all BSI meetings including JPEL/64. However, remember that the members of such committees are expected to provide their expertise. If one has particular knowledge that is not widely known (not an unusual situation) then he/she is expected to share the results of that knowledge with the committee. If a manufacturer had indeed cooperated with the LFB then it is possible that they would know the results of that cooperation before the rest of the committee. Their terms of employment would probably dictate that the knowledge of those results would be used to try to gain a commercial advantage. That does not necessarily imply 'inappropriate' behaviour.
Thanks. In an 'ideal' world, one would probably hope that considerations of commercial advantage never came into the workings of any such committees (or their members) but, in the actual world, I suppose one has to accept that many of the members will have 'dual loyalties'. The important point is obviously that considerations of commercial advantage should not be allowed to undermine the objectivity of the committee in any way.

In the case in point, you seem to have implied that the LFB, in conjunction with a manufacturer with a vested interest, may have failed to find objective evidence which specifically pointed a finger at CUs as the source of fires - and, if that is true, I can't help but wonder whether Amd3 would be as we see it if the committee as a whole had been made fully aware of that ... so, in turn, I wonder if that information were 'fully shared' with the committee.

One would normally expect that anyone with a conflict of interest would be excluded from committee discussions that related to the area of that potential conflict, but I accept that it is difficult when the only people with appropriate expert knowledge are also ones with 'vested interests'. At the very least, one might well have expected an independent expert opinion to have been obtained in relation to the results of the LFB investigation. In fields I've worked in, that would be fairly standard practice in such a situation.

Kind Regards, John

I think you're confusing 'vested interest' with 'conflict of interest'.
Where do you think they might have found an independent expert with sufficient knowledge to add to their discussion?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back