Metal enclosure with 3rd amendment.

I wonder if "they" have considered how many fires, or temperature excursion events, will occur that would not have done before when people bring the tails into their metal CU through 2 separate holes?

genuine question, could it actually cause a fire
Only seen genuine Siemens electricians do that. The firm lost a lot of money when they had to return and do the job twice. However the noise was quite a indicator to the error so in real terms very quickly electricians should learn. As to if LABC inspectors will pick up on such faults where done by DIY people I don't know.

Sponsored Links
John, I was not referring to your independence, or lack thereof, since I have no way of judging that.
I was attempting to respond to your apparent belief that 'independence' was very rare, and was only citing myself as an example of a very large group of people who have no ties or allegiances to anyone or any organisation, and therefore provide services/opinions/advice which seems to me to be as close to 'independent' as anything could be. Maybe our definitions of 'independent' differ?
If you read the document that BAS linked to earlier you will see the result of an "independent expert" review of the issue. It might well be beyond the specific expertise of the JPEL/64 members, but they have reviewed the proposal and its justification and have had the opportunity to challenge it. Presumably they were satisfied that there was a need for CUs to be in a non-flammable enclosure.
Indeed, one can but presume that they were satisfied that there is such a need, and one can but hope that they reached that conclusion on the basis of sound (and 'independent') expert opinion/advice. Don't forget that this discussion started because you indicated or suggested that the LFB's investigation with seemingly started all this had been conducted in collaboration with a manufacturer of CUs.

Kind Regards, John

I'm sure we both have a dictionary John. Perhaps instead of discussing independence we should consider impartiality, which is surely far more important.

I'm sure we both have a dictionary John. Perhaps instead of discussing independence we should consider impartiality, which is surely far more important.
Indeed, that's what matters - but, to be honest, when people talk about 'independent' is this context, I imagine that what they are usually really thinking about is 'impartial'. I suppose the point is that, whilst it is perfectly possible for a non-independent person to be impartial, there will 'always be doubts' in some people's minds - whereas if one is totally independent, then there is little of importance that one could be 'partial' about.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I wonder if "they" have considered how many fires, or temperature excursion events, will occur that would not have done before when people bring the tails into their metal CU through 2 separate holes?

genuine question, could it actually cause a fire
Only seen genuine Siemens electricians do that. The firm lost a lot of money when they had to return and do the job twice. However the noise was quite a indicator to the error so in real terms very quickly electricians should learn. As to if LABC inspectors will pick up on such faults where done by DIY people I don't know.

I did a periodic a few years ago on a former mill. It had a 400A MEM Glasgow TP&N main isolator with each of the four live conductors bushed through seperate holes. You could hear the isolator hum, and feel it vibrating. Sadly this was in the days before I had a thermal imager, so I don't know how much it was heating the metalwork.

You could hear the isolator hum, and feel it vibrating. Sadly this was in the days before I had a thermal imager, so I don't know how much it was heating the metalwork.
Was it 'hot to the touch' - or didn't you touch it?!

Kind Regards, John

Indeed, that's what matters - but, to be honest, when people talk about 'independent' is this context, I imagine that what they are usually really thinking about is 'impartial'. I suppose the point is that, whilst it is perfectly possible for a non-independent person to be impartial, there will 'always be doubts' in some people's minds - whereas if one is totally independent, then there is little of importance that one could be 'partial' about.

Kind Regards, John
In my experience, those who claim to be independent are rarely impartial, sometimes because they are a one-man-band with limited experience, sometimes because of their source of funding. No doubt they believe themselves to be truly impartial, but they aren't. As a general rule, I would much rather deal with someone who was open enough to declare his/her interests that someone who claimed to be independent.

In my experience, those who claim to be independent are rarely impartial, sometimes because they are a one-man-band with limited experience...
Given that we are talking about individuals ('experts'), I suppose they are all 'one-man-bands' but I don't really understand why/how either that or 'limited experience' (which could well render them unsuitable for the 'expert' role) would or could affect impartiality.
... sometimes because of their source of funding. ... No doubt they believe themselves to be truly impartial, but they aren't. As a general rule, I would much rather deal with someone who was open enough to declare his/her interests that someone who claimed to be independent.
I'm starting to wonder whether the difficulty in this discussion arises because of a fundamental difference between the fields in which we have operated and the situations we are used to seeing. If I am asked (and paid) to give "an independent opinion about XYZ" it is almost invariably because the client genuinely wants to know my opinion (often to aid in decision making). My opinion may, of course, be wrong and/or different from the opinions of others, but I don't really see how it could be 'partial' (and don't really know what that would mean in most cases). I might 'err on the side of caution' in the interests of whoever was paying my for my opinion but, if I did that, I would explain that to the client.

Kind Regards, John

In my experience, those who claim to be independent are rarely impartial, sometimes because they are a one-man-band with limited experience...
Given that we are talking about individuals ('experts'), I suppose they are all 'one-man-bands' but I don't really understand why/how either that or 'limited experience' (which could well render them unsuitable for the 'expert' role) would or could affect impartiality.
The experts in a committee might (like myself) represent large organisations, in which case they can be impartial but are not independent. The independents tend to be one-man consultancies whose experience is limited because they cannot draw on the resources of a large organisation.

The experts in a committee might (like myself) represent large organisations, in which case they can be impartial but are not independent. The independents tend to be one-man consultancies whose experience is limited because they cannot draw on the resources of a large organisation.
Maybe, but I still don't understand why not being able to 'draw on the resources of a large organisation' could possibly make one any less 'impartial' - if anything, one would expect the opposite!

However, I think you are merely confirming my suspicion that our viewpoints differ because of the very different nature of the fields/situations we are used to. There are are rarely, if ever, situations in which 'drawing on the resources of a large organisation' would be of any use to me, or of any relevance, in relation to my formulating an opinion about a matter.

Kind Regards, John

There are are rarely, if ever, situations in which 'drawing on the resources of a large organisation' would be of any use to me, or of any relevance, in relation to my formulating an opinion about a matter.
Ah, I forgot, you already know everything! :mrgreen:

There are are rarely, if ever, situations in which 'drawing on the resources of a large organisation' would be of any use to me, or of any relevance, in relation to my formulating an opinion about a matter.
Ah, I forgot, you already know everything! :mrgreen:
I think that really is a bit unfair! People come to me for my personal opinion, based on my knowledge and skills (such as they are) - just as if I were a surveyor, a mechanic undertaking a pre-purchase inspection or even, in some senses, an electrician undertaking an EICR. Given that I (and people like me) am neither infallible nor (despite what you suggest!) omniscient, it is not unusual for clients to obtain more than one such 'personal opinion' so that they can 'compare and contrast them' - but the 'resources of a large organisation' are not usually relevant to the formulations of any of those individual personal opinions.

Kind Regards, John

But you personal opinion is inevitably coloured by, for example, posts on this forum (in the case of electrical issues. To claim that "There are are rarely, if ever, situations in which 'drawing on the resources of a large organisation' would be of any use to me, or of any relevance, in relation to my formulating an opinion about a matter" is nonsense (or paranoia!)

But you personal opinion is inevitably coloured by, for example, posts on this forum (in the case of electrical issues.
In such a context, that would obviously be true. ... and it also illustrates the fact that being a member of a large organisation is not the only way of 'ongoing education'.
To claim that "There are are rarely, if ever, situations in which 'drawing on the resources of a large organisation' would be of any use to me, or of any relevance, in relation to my formulating an opinion about a matter" is nonsense (or paranoia!)
I still don't really understand, and it's a little odd that it's coming from you, since you are the one and only person in this forum who has a fair degree of insight into the nature of my background and work! My personal opinion is based on my education (which never ends) and my experience (and my ability to consult reference materials when needed). What 'resources of a large organisation' did you have in mind? If you are talking about seeking the views of other people in the organisation, then what I ended up with would not really be my 'personal opinion', would it - and people I work for generally want, for better or for worse, my personal opinion (maybe in addition to the personal opinions of others), rather than a collage of the opinions of various people. If I don't feel able/competent to give a personal opinion a particular matter, then I won't - I will not present someone else's opinion as being mine.

Kind Regards, John

What 'resources of a large organisation' did you have in mind?
Well, you speak of your ongoing education, which presumably doesn't come from nowhere, you frequently ask questions here, you consult IET guidance... Granted, all these examples are available to you as an individual so perhaps are poor examples. In my case, during the latter stages of my career I could call on advice on materials, product standards, product applications, intellectual property, and all the other things that a company of over 100 000 people get involved with. Conversely I'm aware of individuals who are unwittingly biased by their narrowness of experience. They have of course as much right to their opinions as anyone else, the problem comes when someone takes their advice without considering how meaningful it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back