Moving a gas meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
What no space above the old service pipes ether as that is where I meant
Actually, moving it up a bit as well would be jolly useful, as I've got to run a water supply through that space, i.e. along that wall under the stairs, and out into the hall.

Sponsored Links
Guess its just too hard to actually listen to advice and keep asking what if questions instead of just phoning up and getting it moved by the proper people for nothing because its too close to electrics

Guess its just too hard to actually listen to advice and keep asking what if questions instead of just phoning up and getting it moved by the proper people for nothing because its too close to electrics

OP: it really is that simple... Grid owns the meter. It is too close to the electrical gear and is not to regs. As it is evident that it came after the electrical install, it shouldn't have been put there and needs to be moved. Grid have a duty to make sure it complies... Call them and get them round, they shouldn't argue, but might... Argue back :sneaky:

OP: it really is that simple... Grid owns the meter. It is too close to the electrical gear and is not to regs. As it is evident that it came after the electrical install, it shouldn't have been put there and needs to be moved. Grid have a duty to make sure it complies... Call them and get them round, they shouldn't argue, but might... Argue back :sneaky:

Grid are not in charge of the meter, the shipper is.

Sponsored Links
Well - I will certainly investigate getting it moved FOC, as that would be ideal.

Re listening to advice, can you clarify which of these people I should ignore, and why?

Then it is rather academic. But yes on most counts.
Just make sure your registered engineer has his meters on his card, it needs a floor bracket fixed to the floor. your gas pipework wants to be rerouted so it does not cross the electrical stuff.
yes can be done, no biggy
as for moving that meter by 10cm, I see no problem with that flexible pipe reaching it as long as he gets an approved contractor to shift it.
might as well let the rgi move it for u at the same time as boiler

Worth a try. I would expect them to say they didn't put it there so they aren't going to move it for free, but what do I have to lose?

Might they insist on moving it and slap a bill on me?

If it goes amicably, would it be like a DNO moving a supply/meter, i.e. they fiddle with their stuff but the customer has to schedule his electrician to do any necessary changes to the customer-side wiring, so I'd have to have an RGI there to do the necessary to my pipe?

its up to you which way you go but you have to do some research yourself and pick up that phone . if you want it foc you will have to work to their schedule if not possible just pay rgi doing your boiler to do it and pay .

Don't pay an RGI to do it, your supplier should move it for you, BG will move it for free.

Personally, I prefer meters attached the wall, so i'd be inclined to mount it on the wall with a hard pipe inlet instead of the flexible one you have now. The outlet pipe work would need to be routed up and above the electric meter.

You still have the issue of the gas pipe being too close to the tails between the CU and Meter, but thats not really a gas issue these days.

If you didnt want the meter mounting, and that cable to the right can be moved, fitting the meter and re-routing the pipework isn't really and issue either.

Sorry - I thought you meant to over the electricity meter.

Yes, there is space above the old pipes:

screenshot_877.jpg

But it couldn't go very far up before the flexible pipe becomes a limitation - probably not far enough for it to make any practical difference.

And wherever it is the pipe on my side has to go off to the left, as that's where the gas is needed, so it's always going to have to cross some electrics. The white board in the top left corner of the photo has the CUs on it, and when I find my round tuit and do the electrical changes I want then the spaces to the left of the meter and above it will have switchgear in, so the way to avoid most of the electrical services is to keep the pipe as low as possible.

Guess its just too hard to actually listen to advice
And anyway - I'm not not listening.

I'm listening to people who tell me that I could have my installer move it - from my POV that's the easiest, logistically, as the guy will be there, shutting off the gas and re-routing my pipework anyway.

I'm listening to people who say the supplier will move it FOC because of where it is.

And I'm listening to people who say that that will get me into circular arguments about who did what and whose responsibility it is to put it right.

If you're with BG then will move it FOC upto 2m as long as its within the same space and for vanity purposes.

Some other suppliers do charge for the work, I imagine that BG will charge at some point in the future too.

Don't pay an RGI to do it, your supplier should move it for you, BG will move it for free.
I'll drop them an initial email enquiry over the weekend.

Personally, I prefer meters attached the wall, so i'd be inclined to mount it on the wall with a hard pipe inlet instead of the flexible one you have now.
That would be good. The reason I've focused on keeping the flexible pipe as is is a (possibly uninformed) notion that not fiddling with "their" pipe makes life simpler.

The outlet pipe work would need to be routed up and above the electric meter.
The space above is earmarked - basically the shaded area in the photo below will be full of stuff:

screenshot_881.jpg

If you didnt want the meter mounting, and that cable to the right can be moved, fitting the meter and re-routing the pipework isn't really and issue either.
The cable in the first photo in my first post isn't connected yet - when it is it will run in the trunking up against the stairs.

The one in the older photos (with the carpet) was just an old length being stored there.

It would have to go above so it doesn't run around the service cable on the electric. For me it would be better to run it along the edge of the meterboard, staying just outside the minimum distances.

SGN will charge what they charge. Its a flat fee whether or not its been moved 2ft or 20ft

Its much like boiler manu's who rock up and just replace a pressure relief valve for £300. Some they win, some they lose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back