Moving a gas meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
The transporter wont move it for you. If anything its your pipe thats in the way of the cutout.

I see far too many arguments between grid and DNO about who bares responsibility when the service/meters are too close to each other. Not saying you didn't do that stuff. It just doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Sponsored Links
love it a bg meter fitter telling me about how things work jesus yous dont even have the fittings to do the job properly which is why yous lie and phone up for letby on inch main taps etc so grid actually end up doing the job and the general standard of your meter fixes is attrocious .

love it a bg meter fitter telling me about how things work jesus yous dont even have the fittings to do the job properly which is why yous lie and phone up for letby on inch main taps etc so grid actually end up doing the job and the general standard of your meter fixes is attrocious .

Thats right, I am the culprit for all of BG meter fitters failures, get off your high horse. Just cause my advice contradicted yours, you decide to throw your toys out the pram.

You do get the reporting fitter phone number. I hope you called him/her up because we do get 1" x 3/4"

Surely electricians are also taught not to put electrics within 150 mm of a gas part?

Tony, they're Sparks, thick as mince!! I mean look at the cables that some cowboy Spark has stuffed behind the gas meter in the photo??!!

As the home owner you're responsible for all costs involved in moving the Gas Meter Built-a-Shed.
Well that's what I initially assumed, but gas112 seems so insistent that it would be free that I might as well ask them the Q.

When I get an answer I'll report back, and we will then all know who was right, and who was wrong.

It may not be free on paper but depending on circumstances some very large discounts are given. Moving a meter to a safer location apparently attracts a discount of more than 90%. If the gas meter was installed "by error" in a postion that compromised its safety or the safety of other services then the 90+% discount is very likely to be applied.

As said before the only accurate answer will be from the gas network operator after a visit.

It may not be free on paper but depending on circumstances some very large discounts are given. Moving a meter to a safer location apparently attracts a discount of more than 90%. If the gas meter was installed "by error" in a postion that compromised its safety or the safety of other services then the 90+% discount is very likely to be applied.

As said before the only accurate answer will be from the gas I've network operator after a visit.
Your knowledge of gas matters are dangerously insightful BG & normally wrong.
Well Built-a-Shed I'd move these ****** daft cables before contacting anyone!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Having had a gas meter moved from wall to semi concealled box in this cottage I DO know what is involved. Both in terms of the work needed amnd the fees that National Grid charge and sometims waive..

Having had a gas meter moved from wall to semi concealled box in this cottage I DO know what is involved. Both in terms of the work needed amnd the fees that National Grid charge and sometims waive..

No, you have personal knowledge of ONE installation alteration, namely your own. That, doesn't make you an expert, it only makes you a dangerious know-it-all - that should be banned directly for passing out dangerious advice.

Like most things in life, MY trade is a steep learning curve & mercifully every day is a Skool Day.

No, you have personal knowledge of ONE installation alteration, namely your own

Wrong again. The move of meter at this cottage is NOT the only one

Like most things in life, MY trade is a steep learning curve & mercifully every day is a Skool Day.

It is obvious there are several different skools training RGIs, obvious since when the same situation is put in front of a few RGis each will have their own "best" advice, recommendations and methods for the situation.

And I can fully understand a trades person getting upset or stressed when they meet someone who is not in the trade but who can collate information, think and make informed judgements about the advice, recommendations and methods the trained tradesman offers. And when two or more tradesmen offer different advice, recommendations and methods for the same situation then an informed judgment about which tradesman is correct ( or least in error ) has to be made.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back