My Powermax nightmare! Can't find the answer on here yet...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, great forums, hope someone can help ....

I have a Range Powermax 155x that started giving explosive ignition, and occassionally would not light. The boiler had a 2 year service due so I asked the engineer I called out to service and fix it. I had a Corgi engineer round, who did a load of tests, spoke with Potterton etc, and at their guidance changed the electrodes and the burner & gaskett. This did not stop the problem, and the next advice was to change the gas valve. This was also changed and did not solve it (although it tends to lock out now far more frequently than giving explosive ignition).

I then had the HT lead replaced, and on the last set of tests the gas pressure seems to start very low (about a bar or so) and then slowly build up to correct pressure (5 bar I think).

I am at the end of my tether (and overdraft!) - I have asked the engineer to come back and replace the new gas valve as I don't believe the gas pressure should start off low and slowly build up?

Potterton are being way less than helpful and just offer to come out and fix it for £279 - but I have already spent £500 so far :eek:(

Could this be down to the PCB? I have just spent about 20 minutes trying the boiler and after about 5 lockouts when trying to ignite (and you can hear the fan, electrodes etc all trying to igniite) it finally lit.

Once it lights it stays lit until the water is up to temp, water pressure is all as it should be etc.

Appreciate anyone that can help!!!!!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I really dont understand people who pay out £500 to fix a boiler and then still dont have it fixed.

While I appreciate its not such an easy boiler to work on it seems your chap has just changed parts at your cost without consideration for diagnosing the real fault.

If I was you I would be asking for a full refund of everything you have paid.

When we repair a boiler we give a full guarantee and if we could not fix it then we dont charge anything! Potterton would also do this. I dont see why others should not.

Tony

Kev

Perhaps that was the pressure for the gas/air mix then - sorry but I am only a dumb consumer - just trying to get as much of the info across as possible to see if anyone here may be able to offer any pearls of wisdom on what may be at fault

Sponsored Links
Tony

The guy was here on and off for 3 days, with Pottertons on the phone, there was one "probe point" at the bottom of the boiler that could not be accessed because part of the boiler obstructs access, and each time based on what was looked at and tested this is what Potterton recommended to change.

The boiler was serviced prior to this (and the fault was intermittent before that), and the turbulators (probably spelt wrong) etc all seemed ok.

just a thought. you said the gas valve was changed. if this was upgraded to p090. was the new injector fitted into the manifold....

Jason

Thanks for your response - it was a P742 - the thinking at the moment is either that was not pre-set correctly, or that the spark quality is not consistent - would this point to faulty PCB????

on the pcb there is a code. what letter dose the code end in. it will be either a,b,c,or d.???

version d is the most up to date, or there could be a problem with the electrodes.

PCB code ends in B. The back casing is quite loose on it as well.

It lit consistently 6 or 7 times this morning, then 1 explosive ignition (but did not stay lit, bang and that was it), now just will not light at all!!

Cannot fathom it - is PCB likely cause?

Graemep said:

It lit consistently 6 or 7 times this morning, then 1 explosive ignition (but did not stay lit, bang and that was it), now just will not light at all!!

PCB does create spark so it is a possible as it ends in a B it is a earlier issue of the PCB as they are now upto D due to a few problems from Pektron !
not meaning to sound patronising but i doubt if your engineer has the equipment or know how to set the gas valve up as it is of a differential Pre-mix type burner which requires a very accurate digital manometer :confused:

I would bite the bullet and call us out at least you get a 1year warranty for that £279 as well ;)

gazthepottertonengineer said:
not meaning to sound patronising but i doubt if your engineer has the equipment or know how to set the gas valve up as it is of a differential Pre-mix type burner which requires a very accurate digital manometer :confused:

I would bite the bullet and call us out at least you get a 1year warranty for that £279 as well ;)

Good shout, at least you / your companies engineers have the necessary knowledge and equipment to carry out the job properly and safely (remember the BG incident ?!)

Unfortunately for the OP this would be additional expense, but they can take that up with the initial "engineer".

gazthepottertonengineer said:
Graemep said:

PCB does create spark so it is a possible as it ends in a B it is a earlier issue of the PCB as they are now upto D due to a few problems from Pektron !

The Range Powermax burners are almost impossible to light, and are plagued by condensation problems, electrode problems etc. Most of the problems are due to the pre-mix burner , single electrode, electrode position combination. Due to poor design noisy ignition is very likely to happen.

It's a bit like trying to light a candle in a gale.

If the PCB is giving a spark what more can it do? If the burner won't light after a certain time period for safety reasons the PCB will start the ignition cycle again, and after 5 trys it will go to lock out. Thats what's supposed to happen.

The differences between B and D versions of the PCB are immaterial in this situation, and Pektron often change the issue letter when minor production changes are made which don't necessarily affect all applications.

For the reasons above I suggest you look elsewhere!

wizzywig said:
The Range Powermax burners are almost impossible to light, and are plagued by condensation problems, electrode problems etc. Most of the problems are due to the pre-mix burner , single electrode, electrode position combination. Due to poor design noisy ignition is very likely to happen.

It's a bit like trying to light a candle in a gale.

If the PCB is giving a spark what more can it do? If the burner won't light after a certain time period for safety reasons the PCB will start the ignition cycle again, and after 5 trys it will go to lock out. Thats what's supposed to happen.

The differences between B and D versions of the PCB are immaterial in this situation, and Pektron often change the issue letter when minor production changes are made which don't necessarily affect all applications.

For the reasons above I suggest you look elsewhere!
Took you a while to compose, didn't it?

Presume the ignition wire has been checked against the case to make sure there is a consistant strong spark. I've had the same problem caused by the control box before.

I wonder where wizzything thinks the OP should look?

Since the originat feeble attempts to help ended last October its likely he has finally got it fixed somehow or replaced it with a better design.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back