New interior door issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m here looking for advice if anyone would be good enough to give me any !
Last week we had 7 new interior doors installed by a company that regularly advertise on FB.
We read their reviews which were all positive so thought we’d go ahead and have them done.
One of the selling points is that they first come to the property and measure the door frames and then the doors are prepared off site.
We chose the Howdens Holdenby Oak Pre Finished doors with chrome furniture.
Two fitters arrived at our house to install the doors. It all seemed to be ok until they were about to leave at which point I suggested they wait a minute while I had a look at them.
And that’s when it didn’t become OK !
Now, it maybe that I’m expecting too much but in my opinion every door in some way or other was defective.
One of the fitters told me that my door casing was ‘warped’ on the living room door to which I replied that my old door must have ‘warped’ with it because it fit perfectly.
After I had pointed out the things I wasn’t happy with one of the fitters said, and I’m not making this up, “ You’re right mate, I wouldn’t have them in my house” But you’ve just fit them in mine !!!
He said he’d ring his boss. He’s coming on Friday.
I know I have to give them a chance to put things right but I just can’t see how they can do that without replacing all the doors.
I mean, some of the new doors that have been fit have wood filler in them, a couple have the veneer plained off and the others are chipped on the edges and the living room door is warped…..the casing is plumb.

I see three options and this is were I’d like the advice please.
In order of preference:
1) Refund the half payment I’ve made, take the doors off and take them away.

2) Replace the doors, fit new,undamaged doors correctly.

3) ? Could get messy

Just to be clear….. I’m not looking for a massive discount…. I don’t want these doors in my house.

Any advice appreciated
Thanks

Pics for perusal

Attachments

• IMG_0725.jpeg
    IMG_0725.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0726.jpeg
    IMG_0726.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0728.jpeg
    IMG_0728.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0732.jpeg
    IMG_0732.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0730.jpeg
    IMG_0730.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0735.jpeg
    IMG_0735.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0734.jpeg
    IMG_0734.jpeg
    493.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0733.jpeg
    IMG_0733.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0724.jpeg
    IMG_0724.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0737.jpeg
    IMG_0737.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
More pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0744.jpeg
    IMG_0744.jpeg
    423.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0756.jpeg
    IMG_0756.jpeg
    373.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0814.jpeg
    IMG_0814.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0813.jpeg
    IMG_0813.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0774.jpeg
    IMG_0774.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0773.jpeg
    IMG_0773.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0770.jpeg
    IMG_0770.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0771.jpeg
    IMG_0771.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0761.jpeg
    IMG_0761.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0759.jpeg
    IMG_0759.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 117
When you employ professionals you expect work do be done to a professional standard with skill and care. That isn't. It's worse than DIY butchery. You owe them nothing. They owe you a refund of all money paid. You could give them a chance to take them all away and start again, but those doors cannot be saved.

Agreed, whoever they were they weren't joiners and also agree none of those doors look salvagable and need skipping and starting a fresh, your not being picky or unreasonable, its option 1 or 2

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for your feedback. I’m glad it’s not me expecting too much !
I’m going to go for a full refund and a Please get them out of my house

If they give you enough of a discount, you could repair and paint them. My observation of professional work were never as high a quality as every body else here has experience of. So, I am less critical. If the house hasn't been demolished by them, the work isn't terrible. Ask yourself at what discount would you be happy to keep them? Once filled and painted, it won't be too bad.

the work isn't terrible. Ask yourself at what discount would you be happy to keep them? Once filled and painted, it won't be too bad.
o_O Your standards must be very low indeed!

I would say that to me it looks like a top notch professional job....

Professional cowboys!

... by a company that regularly advertise on FB.
We read their reviews which were all positive

OOI, where did you read these reviews, and how many were written by the trader and his mum?

If they give you enough of a discount, you could repair and paint them. My observation of professional work were never as high a quality as every body else here has experience of. So, I am less critical. If the house hasn't been demolished by them, the work isn't terrible. Ask yourself at what discount would you be happy to keep them? Once filled and painted, it won't be too bad.
OOI, where did you read these reviews, and how many were written by the trader and his mum?
I wouldn’t have these doors in my house if they were free. Our standards clearly differ.

We read the reviews on FB and Trustpilot and it would appear now that the trader and his mum wrote them all !!

I wouldn’t have these doors in my house if they were free. Our standards clearly differ.
You paid and you have them in your house. Until they are taken away, you are stuck with them.

I am very interested to hear about your experience in dealing with a mum and son team. But, don't count your eggs until they are hatched. I have my paper note pad ready to take down all the clever techniques used.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back