New interior door issues

Sponsored Links
You paid and you have them in your house. Until they are taken away, you are stuck with them.
Actually it was 50% down and 50% when completed. Needless to say I haven’t paid the latter.
But you’re right…. I’m stuck with them until they are taken away.

Actually it was 50% down and 50% when completed. Needless to say I haven’t paid the latter.
Excellent. Looks likely you will be getting 50% discount. This may or may not be great depending on how inflated the price was. This is the first time I seen chipboard doors.

If the doors were taken away, you will have a house without doors. How does that work? Get the mrs to do some door curtains?

Well this is the thing. We’re not interested in a 50% discount. The doors are plainly unacceptable.
Not all the hinges are rebated into the casing and the ones that are, are fixed within but above the original hinge rebate.
The veneer on most of the doors has been plained to an extent at both the top and the bottom that the core of the door has been exposed.
How long will it be before the doors drop and the facing veneer begins to delaminate ?

Sponsored Links
Excellent. Looks likely you will be getting 50% discount.
It only counts as a discount if it's something you want, as the work is shocking then anything other than full removal and a full refund would be acceptable, it's not apparent if Dutch will achieve that ( I suspect not unfortunately). Whilst I'm no joiner I would add that anyone who claims they can prepare a door off site should be met with some suspicion.

The glue will fail after some years. If you are careful, you can take them off when they fail and glue them back on with wood glue.

How will you express lack of interest? Charge back, get a judge, show the mum your arm muscles?

Whilst I'm no joiner I would add that anyone who claims they can prepare a door off site should be met with some suspicion.
Exactly. Especially into existing casings. That particular door has a 10mm lipping on sides and top, so there is only a little room for adjustment. It may well be that your existing casings need too much adjustment in which case this should have been discussed rather than ripping so much off the cores are exposed.

Dare I ask what they charged? we don't know whether it was a cowboy job with a stupidly cheap price, or whether the price is a rip-off too.

It only counts as a discount if it's something you want, as the work is shocking then anything other than full removal and a full refund would be acceptable, it's not apparent if Dutch will achieve that ( I suspect not unfortunately). Whilst I'm no joiner I would add that anyone who claims they can prepare a door off site should be met with some suspicion.
Yes lesson learned !
I’ll let you know how it gets resolved

Exactly. Especially into existing casings. That particular door has a 10mm lipping on sides and top, so there is only a little room for adjustment. It may well be that your existing casings need too much adjustment in which case this should have been discussed rather than ripping so much off the cores are exposed.

Dare I ask what they charged? we don't know whether it was a cowboy job with a stupidly cheap price, or whether the price is a rip-off too.
The agreed price for 7 doors with furniture supplied and fitted was £1540
The price is certainly a rip-off looking at what I’ve got ! Like I said I’ve only paid 50%
I’ve kept hold of the old doors so they’ll go back on once the new door issue ( hopefully)gets resolved.

Keeping those doors would be the worst route.

Stand your ground. Get your money back and employ a real tradesman.

As said butchery, I’d be wanting all my money back and the doors gone.

These doors usally have a solid oak lipping from memory, so if you can see the chipboard core, then the whole lipping has been planed off. Think it’s around 8mm+ thick.

Good luck

7 doors with furniture supplied and fitted was £1540
TBH that is a bit too cheap, especially if it includes VAT. The doors are retail £150ish ea which only allows £70 per door for furniture and fitting. With labour calculated at ~£300 day (which should be minimum for a decent tradesperson) the price you paid doesn't really leave enough time to do a top notch job.

Not sure the price has much to do with it, ignoring what he might expect to have to pay for a top notch job there's still a world of difference between what might be considered acceptable for the price he was quoted and what's he ended up with. If they underquoted that's their hard cheese. This is equivelent to a poor DIY job at best.

Not sure the price has much to do with it, ignoring what he might expect to have to pay for a top notch job there's still a world of difference between what might be considered acceptable for the price he was quoted and what's he ended up with. If they underquoted that's their hard cheese. This is equivelent to a poor DIY job at best.
totally agree. As I said in #3 when you pay professionals you are entitled to a professional standard of work. I've fitted many doors (in fact I'm making a pair of french doors and side panels from scratch at this very moment), but I don't fit doors professionally - I can't do more than 2-3 standard doors a day fitted to the standard I like to see. - Maybe 4 if they were a shoe-in with no fettling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back