Part P and DIY Work

dingbat said:
I have used only the new colours since April. They have been freely available from wholesalers. If you've used red and black from the sheds you have no problem whatsoever. If you've used brown and blue, just say you did it before 1st Jan. And anyway, red and black will still be available in 2005 as it's not until 2006 that it gets phased out completely.

As for minor works, unless it's in a kitchen, bathroom or outside it's non-notifiable.

But here's the big issue with DIY electrics: There is much more to an installation, even a simple domestic one, than just joining up wires. Every day I see some horror or other perpetrated in all innocence by a DIYer, plumber, chippie, etc... "How hard can it be, eh? Look, we join red to red and black to black and it works... bingo!" You guys do stuff that no electrician would be allowed to get away with and you get away with it because you know no better and besides, who will ever know?

Well, sooner or later a problem does occur, a spark is called in and I regularly have to advise that the problem may be just the tip of the iceberg. And it's not just the elctrical installation; the government intend to crack down on all aspects of dodgy DIY/cowboy work in houses and the proposed home seller's pack is a step in that direction, whereby proof will be required that any alterations conform to the relevant standards. For example; dangerous, unauthorised loft conversions, supporting walls and chimneys removed without adequate support provided, drains concreted over, flues leaking combustion gases, etc, etc... Now, nanny state it may be, but how would you feel having just moved into a beautifully decorated home only to find that all the services are dodgy or downright dangerous? Buyer beware? There has to be some recourse, surely?

Now I have no issue with people doing DIY-anything-they-like, far from it. But please take the time to learn how to do it properly. This forum is a start, but the ultimate responsibility lies with the person who actually does the work and if in doubt for goodness sake call somebody who actually knows what they are doing!

Well said, I agree totaly, very sensible man, thank you.

Sponsored Links
jenki said:
A pal of mine sold his house a few months back. 8 years prior he had an extension built - with Building Regs approval. When he came to sell they asked for the certificate - but BC did not supply one 8 years back - wasn't policy to do so! - So he had to take out a policy £50, just in case a problem arose in the future :eek:

What Insurance is this?

dingbat said:
they would far rather you got a registered self-certifying spark to do the work.
I'm sure they would.

I'd like to drive a Ferrari with Claudia Schiffer naked on the passenger seat, but you don't always get what you want.

Sponsored Links
Never mind agreement with dingbat, I'm in agreement with Ban!!!

lol, that was posted while I was posting, yeah, most certainly in agreement with ban as well :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back