photos and video...

I

imamartian

These days we all (well most of us) take video footage of events / people etc.... how do we all store all this?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
i dont store my stuff anywhere online.....you just never know who might see it :rolleyes:

Memory cards/usb stick

and then backed up onto dvd

Archive quality DVDs if it's really important. Apparently ordinary CDs/DVDs can degrade over time.

All storage media degrades over time, nobody really knows how long these so called archive quality DVD's will last, the modelling is not exact. What's more relevant is whether you have the ability to retrieve the data at a later date. Your reading device may become obsolete first.

Good advice would be to backup anything important several times in several formats and store in several locations.

If you want quick access to your media then a NAS device with RAID is a good solution and very fault tolerant. It will be a long time before that becomes obsolete. Of course it is no use if your house burns down or somebody nicks it.

And don't put your information anywher the government and their police force might be able to get to it without letting you know first.

-- how do we all store all this?

I use CDR for quick access and DDS tape as a backup for the backups. Chapeau is right about using more than one type of media and keeping them in different places.

To get around the problem of obsolete hardware (or the software that talks to it) keep at least two drives and two copies of whatever O/S and backup software they need. Just recently, I had to retrieve data from tapes written using Colorado Backup 8 which only works under Win95/98. Fortunately, I had the means to reinstall 98 and also a SCSI card it recognized.

Diane2 said:
i dont store my stuff anywhere online.....you just never know who might see it :rolleyes:

and

chapeau said:
And don't put your information anywher the government and their police force might be able to get to it without letting you know first.

I don't trust remote storage either, mostly because I don't want to go there one day and find that something important has vanished, but the privacy aspect is important too. Who knows what obscure laws we might all be breaking on a regular basis without realizing it. :eek: :eek: :eek:

PS: I have four DDS tape drives. :) :) :)

SSD's are worth looking at now the price is falling rapidly..

Because if they fail, they only fail on write - the data will still be there to read.

SSD's are worth looking at now the price is falling rapidly..

Because if they fail, they only fail on write - the data will still be there to read.

Hmm Highly suspect info there ellal. When SSD's fail (and the failure rate is quite high) they can stop working completely, with all data on them inaccessible. There have been tale of these failing in as little as 137 days from purchase. I've just read on another forum about a chap who bought 8 SSD's and noted how long they took to fail. Not one lasted a year.
Texas Instruments, actually double up the storage in their SSD's because of the failure rate of the chips, so a 2tb drive will have 4tb storage when new, but by the time the warranty expires it may well be down to something just above the 2tb.

Sponsored Links
Back