photos and video...

Sponsored Links
SSD's are worth looking at now the price is falling rapidly..

Because if they fail, they only fail on write - the data will still be there to read.

Hmm Highly suspect info there ellal. When SSD's fail (and the failure rate is quite high) they can stop working completely, with all data on them inaccessible. There have been tale of these failing in as little as 137 days from purchase. I've just read on another forum about a chap who bought 8 SSD's and noted how long they took to fail. Not one lasted a year.
Texas Instruments, actually double up the storage in their SSD's because of the failure rate of the chips, so a 2tb drive will have 4tb storage when new, but by the time the warranty expires it may well be down to something just above the 2tb.
I'm afraid (as I have pointed out before... ;) ) your info is out of date. The failures were mainly due to the type of earlier controllers that were used.

And are you suggesting that use as a storage device (which was the point of topic) means they are as likely to fail as often as if they were used for normal day use?

Do you think a cd/dvd deteriorates at the same rate if it is used daily as opposed to being stored correctly and accessed occasionally?

Sponsored Links
I find DVDs do not hold enough to be useful. And they contain organic material, which is vulnerable to degrading. As previously posted, archive quality discs maybe be up to it, but they still won't hold enough data.

We use portable hardrives. Note the plural here.

With any system you use, its not a question if it will fail, but when. So we have two external drives. One for regular backups, and another stored at a relatives, which we occasioanlly take back, to back up all our music and pictures. etc.

A third alternative is blu-ray discs. These have two advantages over DVDs:
They hold far more (50GB)
They contain no organic material so less suseptable to degrading.

Haven't looked into the cost recently though.

Again, assume they will fail at some point.

The issue of having the tech to read said data can be easily managed if you keep it all in one place, and regularly back it up.

I find DVDs do not hold enough to be useful. And they contain organic material, which is vulnerable to degrading. As previously posted, archive quality discs maybe be up to it, but they still won't hold enough data.

We use portable hardrives. Note the plural here.

With any system you use, its not a question if it will fail, but when. So we have two external drives. One for regular backups, and another stored at a relatives, which we occasioanlly take back, to back up all our music and pictures. etc.

A third alternative is blu-ray discs. These have two advantages over DVDs:
They hold far more (50GB)

They contain no organic material so less suseptable to degrading.

Haven't looked into the cost recently though.

Again, assume they will fail at some point.

The issue of having the tech to read said data can be easily managed if you keep it all in one place, and regularly back it up.

i currently have two HDD's and i take one to work and leave it there.... but they're filling up rapidly.

Back