PLEASE Help Me !!!!!!

just speed read this post so sorry if ive missed owt, where did you fit the 3 nrv's to ? If all the mixers have had nrv's on its a knocking bet its the bath tap or you have been really unlucky and have a new cylinder with perforated coil (highly unlikely but not impossible)

Sponsored Links
if its just a bath deck mixer cant see it backflowing into attic unless the outlet was blocked

Any ideas what I try next then ?

Have you turned the cold to the bath off yet, and if not why not :LOL:

Unless the new cylinder is duff and it does look second hand then we have told you what the problem will be, if your listening :rolleyes:

ScottJH";p="779507 said:
I turned off the hot water feed from the bottom of the main storage tank and the water went up through the pipe on the roof , as expected.

I have been advised that 1 of the 3 mixer taps that I have in the house could cause the hot water to get into the tank but I dont know how to test for this.

If it was a duff cylinder it wouldnt of backed up the expansion.got to be mains.

I skim read the posts as well. Heres what I see

1 Mixer taps ... Well covered and more or less eliminated

2 Blender valves ... This seems to be covered

3 Washing machine not likely as theres only cold going to it and its in the garage

4 Something to do with the cylinder..... Cylinder is blue insulated so should not be a primatic. Cylinder coil leaking - Still possible but sort of ruled out [someone said mains !] although I dispute this if the heating feed and expansion cistern is higher than HW cistern.

5 Some crazy mad pipework going on! Well this is possible and I have seen the likes but this brings in a point of question which is: - When did the problem start?

6 After the things already covered there is one other cause of this cross water contamination that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Heres the scenario. Washing machine moved to garage and now on cold fill only DISHWASHER in its place and theres a hot and cold pipe. Some bright spark gets their hands on a 'Y' piece decides that a dishwasher needs hot and cold water and then proceeds to fit the Y piece the wrong way round joining hot and cold before entering the diswasher.

Well I could be right or wrong but thats what I see after trying to look at all the angles.

Sponsored Links
For them that hasn't been following the thread.

The OP has fitted check valves to all the taps except the Bath mixer, all he has to do is turn the isolating valve off, also feeds the basin, and the problem will be identified

For them that hasn't been following the thread.

The OP has fitted check valves to all the taps except the Bath mixer, all he has to do is turn the isolating valve off, also feeds the basin, and the problem will be identified

I have turned off the cold water supply in the loft to both the bath mixer tap and the basin tap.

Neither is running cold water but the hot water is fine.

Is this correct to eliminate the bathroom completely ?

That is correct the problem should now not exist, so give it 30 mins or so and use all the other outlets hot and cold to try and get it to overflow

That is correct the problem should now not exist, so give it 30 mins or so and use all the other outlets hot and cold to try and get it to overflow

OK but the water is not currently coming out just now and the bath was run for a period of time this morning , to reduce the water level , as it was coming out first thing this morning and last thing last night.

If I try all the other outlets (hot & cold) and the water doesnt overflow (and I dont expect it to to be honest) :

a) what does it prove or eliminate
b) what do i try next

Lets start again.

On or the other taps is backing up the hot pipe unless you have a combi as well as a cylinder.

You said you have fitted a check valve to all the other hot outlets, is that correct.

You haven't as yet fitted anything to the bath mixer taps, therefore that tap is the biggest contender.

Where is the header tank in relation to the storage tank, higher ? and if so by how much.

Is the new cylinder new or pre-owned.

With the bathroom isolated The problem should be not exist, and if that is the case then you need to fit a check valve on the hot pipe that feed the bath, if it is still there answer to the above questions please

Lets start again.

On or the other taps is backing up the hot pipe unless you have a combi as well as a cylinder.

You said you have fitted a check valve to all the other hot outlets, is that correct.

You haven't as yet fitted anything to the bath mixer taps, therefore that tap is the biggest contender.

Where is the header tank in relation to the storage tank, higher ? and if so by how much.

Is the new cylinder new or pre-owned.

With the bathroom isolated The problem should be not exist, and if that is the case then you need to fit a check valve on the hot pipe that feed the bath, if it is still there answer to the above questions please

Here are the answers to your questions :

I do not have a combi boiler.

I have fitted a NRV to the hot water supply to the mixer tap in the kitchen and also to the hot water tap under the basin in the bathroom but NOT to the bath maixer , as you mention.

The header tank and expension tank sit next to each other , on the same level , in the loft.

The cylinder (with thermostat) that was fitted last month is brand new.

I hope this info helps.

Ok lets see if the problem returns with the bathroom isolated, I would have preferred the problem to be happening before you turned the bathroom off then you could see if it stopped over flowing.

The cylinder doesn't look new which is why I asked

Ok lets see if the problem returns with the bathroom isolated, I would have preferred the problem to be happening before you turned the bathroom off then you could see if it stopped over flowing.

The cylinder doesn't look new which is why I asked

Right guys , the mains fed cold water supply to the bathroom has been off all day now and the problem hasnt surfaced - yet !!

Assuming that this is where the problem lies , what do I do next ?

Here is a couple of pictures of the storage & header tanks in my loft , just in case it helps :

7wht65z.jpg

85udlrl.jpg

ScottJH said:
what do I do next ?
Whack a compression stop end on that open end of 22mm pipe, because if the gate valve is knocked or decides to start weeping then you'll have a damage to the ceiling. Or if it happens while you're away in August sunning yourselves, you'll have damage to two ceilings and two carpets.

ScottJH said:
what do I do next ?
Whack a compression stop end on that open end of 22mm pipe, because if the gate valve is knocked or decides to start weeping then you'll have a damage to the ceiling. Or if it happens while you're away in August sunning yourselves, you'll have damage to two ceilings and two carpets.
Duly noted Sir

Take the bath panel off and put a nrv on the hot pipe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back