Plumbers is it worth becoming gas safe

I thought with the huge increase of responsibility a gas safe plumber has over a plumber they'd be on a lot more?

Sponsored Links
I would agree that there is a lot more responsibility but the payments have not followed that !

An airline pilot also has a lot of responsibility but many still earn less that a basic plumber!

British Gas do pay well but many have problems accepting their employer's expectations!

Sponsored Links
And some who claim to be one of the top 100 engineers in the country would not even be in the top couple of thousand at bg so would never meet expectations

An airline pilot also has a lot of responsibility but many still earn less that a basic plumber!

Probably because an airline ticket is sold at a fixed price and not subject to whatever figure springs to mind on any given day eh Tony?

:evil:

And some who claim to be one of the top 100 engineers in the country would not even be in the top couple of thousand at bg so would never meet expectations

Well said, think I know who that was aimed at.

I think the big old dinosaurs will all fold in the next few years. The boiler manufacturers will all merge into 3 or 4 large companies with affiliated and approved agents, they will install and service and use remote diagnostics and offer lifetime warranties (10 / 15 years) on their products.

Far too many course Cowboys & career change chancers in the gas industry. At one time a RGI could earn twice as much doing C/H installs as a site Plumber. Not any more, the money for heat installs is rubbish & site Plumbers are making £1K/week.

Doing 6 rads & a combi in a day is cr.p money now.

As for boiler repair, maintenance & service work, it's good money but you do need to be highly skilled & very experienced.

I've done all sorts & the best money I've ever made was on bulk LPG work.

Agreed, the money is always going to be in developing techologies, pick the right one and develop your knowledge before everyone else and your in the money. If I went through gas again I'd choose commercial catering.

I am glad I never ventured into commercial catering.

Working on appliances 11 mm deep with fat and dirt and then owners who expect the gas man to be paid at the same £4 an hour as the kitchen staff !

Not for me!

Far too many course Cowboys & career change chancers in the gas industry. At one time a RGI could earn twice as much doing C/H installs as a site Plumber. Not any more, the money for heat installs is rubbish & site Plumbers are making £1K/week.

Doing 6 rads & a combi in a day is cr.p money now.

As for boiler repair, maintenance & service work, it's good money but you do need to be highly skilled & very experienced.

I've done all sorts & the best money I've ever made was on bulk LPG work.
By site plumbers do you mean gas safe registered plumbers on site or just normal plumbers on 1k a week?

It's not difficult to become gas safe. A lot if people fall flat once they realise they then have many more years to put in to learn the job. Don't let that put you off

Working for your self there is just as much money in bogs and taps, sometimes more

How old are you and what do you do, or are you a school leaver, at college ?

I work for a new build from mainly on commercial jobs but now new builds. Haven't done many domestic new builds at all. Thats my worry I'd be able to pass the course but I'll be the only plumber/ gas safe engineer at the firm. So no one to get a second opinion from.

Once your gas safe you will get help from the guys in the combustion chamber, one springs to mind, all he does is new build.

It's not like your a new fish, It sounds like you have a fair bit of experience in the industry already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back