Plumbers is it worth becoming gas safe

Far too many course Cowboys & career change chancers in the gas industry. At one time a RGI could earn twice as much doing C/H installs as a site Plumber. Not any more, the money for heat installs is rubbish & site Plumbers are making £1K/week.

Doing 6 rads & a combi in a day is cr.p money now.

As for boiler repair, maintenance & service work, it's good money but you do need to be highly skilled & very experienced.

I've done all sorts & the best money I've ever made was on bulk LPG work.
By site plumbers do you mean gas safe registered plumbers on site or just normal plumbers on 1k a week?

Money has not been as good for years doing bog standard house bashing. There's a bit of a Labour shortage in this type of work, guys with the quallies & experience are making a fortune.

Sponsored Links
Once your gas safe you will get help from the guys in the combustion chamber, one springs to mind, all he does is new build.

It's not like your a new fish, It sounds like you have a fair bit of experience in the industry already.
Thanks, does the course teach you about safe positions of boilers etc? As I haven't done acs before would I need to build up a portfolio of gas work? I used wish I had another gas safe engineer at the firm to run stuff by now and again. Once starting out.

You will learn a lot by reading a few installation manuals. It will cover things like flue positions etc or zones that you can install in bathrooms.

Read and then read some more, pretty soon it starts to make sense and then when something doesn't look quite right you will know to check with the manual,manufacture or regs

Yes I no that a lot of boilers can be installed in zone 2 in bathrooms now. Were would I get install manuals from. My worry is my lowish experience causing me to make a mistake.

Sponsored Links
you can get manuals from the manufactures online, look at Worcester Bosch, Vaillant, ideal

Look at the combi, heat only and system. Take note if they quote regs and Google these

The good thing about 2015 as opposed to 1975 is this and other forums like it . The C.C where people offer gas advice @ the tap of a keyboard ,and general advice from all others. There was next to bugger all opportunity for further training for a plumber back then . It was just the Gas Board boys who had the chances. If I had my time again .....blah blah.:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back