Potterton Lynx 1 Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I hope someone can help with this. I have a Potterton Lynx 1 combi which stopped working suddenly yesterday. There is a fused switch on the electrical supply to the boiler which has started to blow if the central heating is switched on for about a minute. When the heating comes on the demand and first temperature light come on, but the ignition light does not. If a hot water tap is switched on the same lights light up but the fuse doesn't seem to blow. There is also a buzzing noise coming from behind the control panel of the boiler where the PCBs are. Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
The pcb's where a weak point on Lynx1, due to way fitted inside, they flap about on motherboard and end up arcing. The rest of boiler needs to be in good condition to justify expense of set of boards. Your probaly living on borrowed time with it.

The pcb's where a weak point on Lynx1, due to way fitted inside, they flap about on motherboard and end up arcing. The rest of boiler needs to be in good condition to justify expense of set of boards. Your probaly living on borrowed time with it.

Thanks for the reply.
I think I've been living on borrowed time with this for a while now. Ideally I want it replaced asap but have no idea of the cost. I could do with it working in the mean time. I can replace all the boards for around £100, but this may not be the problem. The question is, is it worth buying the boards?

I think these were very good boilers apart from the now difficult to obtain air flow switch.

If its not leaking water then quite worth repairing.

We have several mother boards in stock.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I think these were very good boilers apart from the now difficult to obtain air flow switch.

Tony

Thanks. Do you have any contact details / website?

Tony

Wern't these the air flow switch that was like a glow coil or am I thinking of another one.

gasacs You have the right one. Sensor in middle just above pump used to leak/weep into the pump causing fuse to blow.

As part of my Technician training with BG went to potterton and spent best part of two days working on these. Good experience but a long time ago. Think I have probably got the notes still knocking around somewhere. Must say all that time on one boiler did give you the knowledge to work on them.

gasacs did you do your training at aylestone you prob worked with couple of northants techs age aound mid 50`s who have recently died

Did some training at Aylestone and some at Long Eaton, Not as old as 50 (yet). However there were older guys in our group, seem to remember most in my group from either Leics, Burton,Notts, Derby or Sheffield.
Was bases at Aylestone Rd for a long time so know it well.

Yes thats the one!

It was based on a cooker igniter but no one can tell me which cooker!

Tony

Guys names where dave wills from northampton who passed away recently with cancer and jeff wallis from kettering who had a sudden heart attack last year. You would know mr marshall then technician from melton very friendly and knowledable person

It may be quite suprising but when I was a Technician with BG in Leicester we did not get to meet the guys at other depots very often. Melton whilst only being 15 miles away might as well have been another country. Even the lads at Belgrave depot (less than 2 miles from Ayl Rd) were a different bunch. Only really met up with others whilst playing Cricket or Rugby for the region, then blokes came from all aspects of the job. Oh happy days, although I am sure your memory plays tricks as I am sure there were a fair few bad ones to.

Belgrave lads where a good bunch mental but a good bunch used to get on well with them at the annual 5 a side tournament in sheffield and on the monthly sales and service nights out now they where intersting memmories.

Sorry to have hijacked post but check that sensor also lynx 1 are prone to the wiring harness going brittle and breaking down

Sorry to have hijacked post but check that sensor also lynx 1 are prone to the wiring harness going brittle and breaking down

CORGI job checking that sensor if opening the combustion chamber.

The resistance can be measured from the leads by removing the plug on the PCB. I seem to remember that about 1.4 ohms is typical but I dont know what the official value is expected to be!

Dan Robinson got an electric shock of one of those sensors once!!!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back