Putting up wall lights after redecoration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I want to put up again some wall lights but am having difficulty in finding an electrician who wants the job without quoting ridiculous prices! Their excuse seems to be that it will need a rewire as it has no earth and current legislation states that lights must be earthed. If that is the case it means that 50% of UK households are illegal!!!

What I need to know is is it possible and safe to join new wiring to the old by some means? Can this be done. I have had some internal cladding put up and I am not sure that the wires are long enough to come through the cladding and be attached to the lights. All advice will be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
If that is the case it means that 50% of UK households are illegal!!!
Well, no.

It's quite common, in many areas and walks of life, for standards to change, and for new work to have to comply with the new standards whilst at the same time people don't have to get rid of/change/stop using the old stuff. An example you're probably familiar with - CH boilers. If you want a new one it has to meet certain efficiency standards, but if you've got an old one the boiler police do not come round and make you replace it - it's not "illegal" to own it or use it.

What I need to know is is it possible and safe to join new wiring to the old by some means?
But there is no existing earth to connect new wiring to.

Also, is the lighting circuit RCD protected? If not then that too will be a problem with respect to installing any new concealed cabling.

Thanks for reply. I believe that the circuit is RCD protected. I have a fuse box but alongside it is a separate black box with an on/off switch and a yellow button, fitted in 1980. The wall lights are powered by a separate plug which fits into a wall socket and an on/off switch so although metal you never have to touch the lights themselves. This is why I ask again, taking the above into account, is it possible to join some new wire to the existing two wires in some way?

a separate black box with an on/off switch and a yellow button, fitted in 1980.
That might be a voltage-operated ELCB, which doesn't meet today's requirements. Can you post a photo of it? Are your light class II, i.e. are they marked with a square inside a square? If not then they must be earthed.

Sponsored Links
attached photo of fuse box

Attachments

• P1020841.JPG
    P1020841.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 189
Can't see your photo of the lights and wiring. However you have a voltage-operated ELCB, which has been obsolete since 1981 I believe. They are not considered suitable for protection against electric shock.

sorry having techi problems now but will upload lights photo again!

Attachments

• P1020842.JPG
    P1020842.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 140
That's not a double-insulated light - it must be earthed.

1. Change the lights

or
  2. Rewire

or
  3. Err... that's it.

Taking the lack of an earth, the old VOELCB and the old fuse box together is highly suggestive of an "installation of a certain age" - I strongly advise having it all fully inspected before going ahead with one isolated bit of fixing.

You mention the old wall light wiring plugs into a socket.

Do the cables feel 'free' in the wall? If they are behind some cladding, in a tube, or in a cavity then perhaps new cables can be drawn through.

Or maybe not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back