Regulations

It's ok the threads are the same situation but one I asked about the regs on having power going downstairs from upstairs and the other about the master/slave Mabe I got them mixed up a little lol

Sponsored Links
It's ok the threads are the same situation but one I asked about the regs on having power going downstairs from upstairs and the other about the master/slave Mabe I got them mixed up a little lol

Put the landing light on the downstairs circuit. The light will then still be on if the upstairs circuit trips.

Sponsored Links
Can you use a single 2 gang switch so the 2 circuits are in the same switch & back box
You may.

or would you have to use two single gang switches in separate boxes?
Only if you want to (there is something to be said for two 1-gang switches, one above the other, for a hall/landing setup.)

God.

Two pages of drivel.

Can't be bothered to read all that lot, so I'll own up if I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do.

But I think it's best to have the landing light on the upstairs lighting circuit; and the hall light on the downstairs lighting circuit.

Why have it any other way (unless for some reason wiring is significantly easier)?

As said, no problem having a 2 gang or more switch plate with two circuits or more present.

Used to put notices in the back boxes once explaining more than one fuse or circuit breaker needs to be isolated for maintenance. Don't do that any more!

Putting the upstairs landing light on the downstairs circuit is most likely going to be difficult and pointless.

It's not the norm either IMO.

I would have thought the hall and landing is best on two seperate circuits, in case one circuit fails.

Can you use a single 2 gang switch so the 2 circuits are in the same switch & back box
You may.

I'm surprised by that. So a switch can have two seperate circuits in it. Considering some of the regs this seems strange.
or would you have to use two single gang switches in separate boxes?
Only if you want to (there is something to be said for two 1-gang switches, one above the other, for a hall/landing setup.)

Can't be bothered to read all that lot, so I'll own up if I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do. But I think it's best to have the landing light on the upstairs lighting circuit; and the hall light on the downstairs lighting circuit. Why have it any other way (unless for some reason wiring is significantly easier)?
It can be argued (as I think it was, somewhere in the depths of this thread) that, functionally, having it the other way around means that there is sttil some light downstairs (hall) if the downstairs lighting circuit fails, and still some light upstairs (landing) if the upstairs lighting ciorcuit fails. However, wiring-wise it will not usually be so convenient to do that.
As said, no problem having a 2 gang or more switch plate with two circuits or more present. ... Used to put notices in the back boxes once explaining more than one fuse or circuit breaker needs to be isolated for maintenance. Don't do that any more!
As someone said, given how hyper-cautious some of the regs are, it is perhaps a little surprising that it's still allowed, at least in domestic installations. I have to say that still put warnings inside back boxes if they contain more than one circuit, although it would often be 'too late' by the time anyone saw it! 541.11.1 of current regs still requires an easily legible notice "at each position where there are live parts which are not capable of being isolated by a single device...". Whether that does, or is meant to, include things like the light switches we're talking about, I don't know.

Kind Regards, John

As someone said, given how hyper-cautious some of the regs are, it is perhaps a little surprising that it's still allowed, at least in domestic installations. I have to say that still put warnings inside back boxes if they contain more than one circuit, although it would often be 'too late' by the time anyone saw it! 541.11.1 of current regs still requires an easily legible notice "at each position where there are live parts which are not capable of being isolated by a single device...". Whether that does, or is meant to, include things like the light switches we're talking about, I don't know.
Safe isolation procedures......

So that red must be for all 2 way switches as powers always comes from the opposite to one of the switches ??

So that red must be for all 2 way switches as powers always comes from the opposite to one of the switches ??
Cryptic questions asked without all the information needed will get cryptic answers back.
As I said earlier in this and your other posts, it is clear that you are not currently capable of resolving this problem without the help of an electrician.
Not, by the way, an imaginary 'three day' one, but a real one who could resolve this issue in a few minutes.
You should explain to him/her or us what you are trying to achieve with full details - for example are we dealing with a dimmer, are we dealing with three lamps from two switches - the issue of whether it is on the upstairs or downstairs circuit is largely immaterial - we don't know what you are trying to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back