Regulations

Sorry I mean the safety regulation saying you have to put a note in back box explaining power is isolated from 2 locations should be on all 2 way switches on the stairs as one switch will always be On a diffrent floor to the power ? As for the question it's quite clear . . Are there any regulations out there that state the power to a switch has to be for a light on that floor ? in that case it would have to be on the upstairs lighting circuit not the down stairs which I plan to do but run the power from upstairs to the downstairs master . . The downstairs has to be a master because it's a 2 gang switch and the other light is the bottom of the stairs light which requires a master for it to work as its one way make any sense ?

Sponsored Links
As for the question it's quite clear . . Are there any regulations out there that state the power to a switch has to be for a light on that floor ?

No, there is no such regulation. When carrying out elelctrical work, one should use safe isolation procedures to check that everything that you are working on is properly isolated (there is a treatise on this in the WIKI). Experienced electricians know to look out for this and never to assume that the circuit that is labelled "upstairs lighting" only isolates the lighting upstairs.

According to the regulations, there should be a document attached or near the consumer unit that details exactly what each circuit does. This is usual in commercial installations but very rare in domestic installations, especially thaose that have been "enhanced" by sundry sparks or DIYers.

Its up to you to make sure you are safe, and never assume anything.

PS I know this is what everybody should do, but I'll bet there's not many on this site who have had the occassional surprise?

Blah- blah -blah - drivel!!!! The downstairs has to be a master because it's a 2 gang switch and the other light is the bottom of the stairs light which requires a master for it to work as its one way make any sense ?

So it is a two gang switch and not a dimmer then?????
In which case there are no master/slave issues - run live/switch live from your upstairs light ceiling rose to the landing switch - put the live in L1 and Switch Live in L2. Run three core and earth strappers from the landing switch to the downstairs switch gang 1 - just make sure that the three colours match the terminal names in both switches. The second gang of your downstairs is on the downstairs circuit anyway and does not interfere with the upstairs circuits.
There is no regulation about having a double gang switch operating off two different circuits.
That is why we have a safe isolation procedure and only people who understand this process should be messing about with electrics.
Your proposal of putting a note in the back box is nonsensical because you will have to open the switch to see it. If you are so concerned it would be better to write your warning sign in big letters on the switch or on the wall above the switch.

Sponsored Links
No it's a double gang master dimmer
Then it is live, switch live and earth from the upstairs (lighting circuit) landing light ceiling rose to the downstairs gang 1 - Live into L1 and switch live into L2 - or their equivalent. An arrow out is sometimes shown on dimmers as switch live (L2). Read the Manufacturers instructions.
Then three core and earth in each of the three terminals in the downstairs gang 1 to the upstairs slave switch using the same colours in the same terminals for both.
IMHO having dimmers on the stairs circuit isn't a good idea - from a safety perspective.

It's a varlight Eclique dimmer and they are safe to use 2 way they have an overload and heat sensor and shut off if there is a problem probably safer than a normal rocker ? :/

And it would be a 2 core and earth from the light to a junction box then the live would be split there as the ceiling rose dont have any extra terminals on it

Doesn't the Eclique dimmer allow you to bring live through the slave?

Nope no lives into slave the live has to come from the master ?

There is no regulation about having a double gang switch operating off two different circuits. That is why we have a safe isolation procedure and only people who understand this process should be messing about with electrics.
Your proposal of putting a note in the back box is nonsensical because you will have to open the switch to see it. If you are so concerned it would be better to write your warning sign in big letters on the switch or on the wall above the switch.
It was actually sparkwright, not the OP, who mentioned the old practice of putting a warning inside the back box - which both you and I have said is pretty useless (although I usually do it!). However, no-one has responded to my question as to whether, strictly speaking, 514.11.1 requires your "warning sign in big letters on the switch or on the wall above the switch" in the case of a light switch serving two or more circuits. On the face of it, I can't see why that regulation does not cover such light switches - although I'm sure that no-one actually does it!!

Kind Regards, John
Edit: typo corrected

Last edited:
I assume you mean 514.11.1.
In which case I agree - but I have never been asked for it on inspection tests.
Clearly this would apply to the double gang dimmer the OP is talking about here.
Two solutions firstly put the landing and downstairs lights on their own circuit though there might be a safety issue to consider there.
Secondly, is to not allow a double gang switch to contain two independent circuits.
Neither of which is likely.

I assume you mean 514.11.1.
I did - apologies; I've corrected the typo.
In which case I agree - but I have never been asked for it on inspection tests.
Indeed, and I've never seen it in a domestic setting. In aesthetically non-sensitive areas of my own house (utility/'switchgear' room, cellar etc.) I have usually put warnings, particularly when two phases (not just circuits) are present in the same enclosure, but I would never do it "where it shows".
Clearly this would apply to the double gang dimmer the OP is talking about here.
Indeed it would - and the the vast majority of 2-gang landing/hall two-way switches.
Two solutions firstly put the landing and downstairs lights on their own circuit though there might be a safety issue to consider there.
As you say, there are downsides to that.
Secondly, is to not allow a double gang switch to contain two independent circuits. Neither of which is likely.
Agreed, but what about the third option - simply 'enforce' the current regulations - i.e. allow two circuits, but insist on a prominent warning sign per 514.11.1. That would presumably deter most people from doing it domestically :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back