Regulations

If a conductor is continuous and connected to both switches it doesn't matter where (along that conductor) you connect the live or load.

Sponsored Links
image.jpg
image.jpg
Not a very good drawing but this is what am planning :)

Fair enough mate you can put power in the slave and take it to master but that would mea the load would have to come back upto the light from the master so I would have to run a double up for that anyhow so may aswell send down a 3 core from the slave to master and a 2 core for the split live :/ confusing myself now lol

Yes you can connect the live at any point to the L on a master or a slave but (and this has been said a few times before) it must be an L from the same circuit as the N.

Usually, when runing this sort of set up, you can use the existing 2 way (or more) cabling, but you need to be sure of the routes and that there are no surprises. For most 'smart' dimmers a 3-core and earth is needed between all points.

Some other dimmers (Retrotouch e.g.) work with only 2 wires between the master and slaves, but they have other horrible challenges, that I wont discuss here!

Sponsored Links
Yep the ceiling roses ain't been updated so they all go to a junction box in the attic it looks like a birds nest!! I do want to replace it with something bigger to space the wires out more is there anything that's made for the job to do this??????

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 134
Where the live is split in the junction box for the switch ? :/ I think lol

Does anyone have a better idea than this circuit/situation ? Any input would be appreciated ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 128
I think you are still missing the point.

On your latest drawing, transpose 'M downstairs' and 'S landing' and it will be easier to wire.

Yep the ceiling roses ain't been updated so they all go to a junction box in the attic it looks like a birds nest!! I do want to replace it with something bigger to space the wires out more is there anything that's made for the job to do this??????
How big is "bigger". Something like this? http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ701.html

Let me re-word that mate I mean instead of having the junction box I have which looks a mess and all the earths twisted together to hold the top on the box it's self is there a type of junction box made for what it's doing that gives more room to put all the cables in neater and safer and a terminal for all the earths also Mabe a few more extra run off points for my bathroom fan and mabe any extra lighting :/ ?

Yes, I know, so connect the L and SL to the slave at the landing.

The master and salve are connected with a 3 core like the Varilight circuit drawing says live, load and link all connected one 3 core cable ? :/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back