Regulations

The live will come from a junction box the ceiling rose don't have the extra terminal to loop the live to the switch ?

Sponsored Links
Yea I could go for that. The determination for a JB worries me though because I'm not sure he even got a remote understanding of a how a lighting circuit works
I blame it all on his 'three day electrician'!;)
To the OP, when you next go to Toolstation and before you start messing about with the JB,
A: pick up a Multi-meter learn how to use it and
B: study the wiki site for UK Electrics, particularly the part to do with lighting.
I say this because I know as soon as you start on that JB you are going to be coming back here asking questions - and A and B are the two answers you will be getting.

The live will come from a junction box the ceiling rose don't have the extra terminal to loop the live to the switch ?
Almost every ceiling rose in the country has a terminal called 'LOOP', this is where you take your permanent live from, in your case you MAY need to take it from that JB, but you DONT NEED ANOTHER JB (yes you may need to replace that one in the future, but you do not need two)

Almost every ceiling rose in the country has a terminal called 'LOOP', this is where you take your permanent live from, in your case you MAY need to take it from that JB, but you DONT NEED ANOTHER JB (yes you may need to replace that one in the future, but you do not need two)

So your saying I don't need a junction box ? The ceiling rose has a live and neutral terminal ?

Sponsored Links
If I get a new improved JB and link the circuit I'm working on it gives me experience to link all the other lights when I'm ready to do that what is the problem I'm just trying to learn like anyone what's so bad I've draw you a circuit that you said would work if I can draw it I understand it :/

So your saying I don't need a junction box ? The ceiling rose has a live and neutral terminal ?

Can't see from here. You need to look. And do some serious reading before you even think about taking the lid off that JB

Could this be used to "divert" the live to a switch?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 146
Possibly, and back again.
There are several configurations obtainable so it depends what you need.

It is anyone's guess what is happening inside your present junction box with twelve cables and a maximum of six connectors.

Do you have lots of downlight

Wow - just read through all seven pages.

I have to say a big well done to the contributors who stuck with it. No clue where the nebulous 3-day electrician fits into this saga of explanation-via-tooth-pulling, though....

Yes, seven pages to get a simple two-way switch circuit understood. :rolleyes:
And that's before he opens up the JB. The lid of which is guarded by all of the cpcs twisted together (IIRC).

Wow - just read through all seven pages.
I have to say a big well done to the contributors who stuck with it. No clue where the nebulous 3-day electrician fits into this saga of explanation-via-tooth-pulling, though....
This is the OP's second post on the same subject in the last few days although this one starts with the regulations.
//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/eclique-dimmer-switch-help.437262/
He mentioned the 'imaginary electrician' in this out take.
Thanks for your response electrician was here 3 days trying to get it to work put 2 cables in the load side of the master not sure what they were but when the power was put on there was a tiny bit of smoke coming from the two cables not sure if it's possible to fry the switch through the load side though isn't it protected ? The main question is if the bathroom light will work off the slave am sure the electrician said something about running some cables to it from the master something about a neutral and 3 switch wires are needed ? But won't that turn the bathroom light into a 2way with the master downstairs ? Thanks

There was no imaginary electrician ! He came to put the new varilight switches in and could not understand how they didn't work so took him a few days he ain't uptodate on his papers as he's retierd now but back in the day he worked on bigger **** than houses ! If your all here to have a laugh at my expense of inexperience then don't bother answering and leave the thread please anyone willing to help and teach me without making sarcastic comments and making me feel like I'm a piece of meat on a donner kebab then your very welcome and I appreciate the help :)

There was no imaginary electrician ! He came to put the new varilight switches in and could not understand how they didn't work so took him a few days....... and he still hasn't fixed it
Unfortunately, this just emphasises my point that the person who came to your house to install a relatively simple two way lighting arrangement is not an electrician. He imagines he is an electrician but is deluding both you and himself if he thinks he is.

As for teaching you..... well it only took seven pages on this thread for you to realise that a ceiling rose has a live and neutral terminal. At that rate the thread will be going for the record. That is before we even begin to think about opening that can of worms junction box.
IMHO, you are totally out of your depth. You cannot be 'taught' long distance when you don't even understand the basics of how circuits operate.

I gave you advice on page seven, I repeat it again, because you do seem to blank a lot of the advice being given - not very good when you are being taught.

My gold standard piece of advice is - get a non-imaginary electrician in to do this work. However if as usual you ignore my advice then..

1. Study Wiki starting here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Two-way-lighting
2. Buy a multi-meter from your local store - and learn how to use it properly.
3. Learn the safe isolation procedure - put it into practice.
4. Understand how to conduct continuity dead tests to determine which cable forms which part of the circuit.
5. Fix your two way lighting following the instructions you have been given here - several times.
6. Stop here. Get an electrician to fix your 'can of worms' junction box.

No doubt you will ignore the above and we shall hear from you again asking how to solve your next 'project problem'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back