Rewire?

Hi,

I am a student have been for the last three years but I came from industry and been working as a spark on and off for the last couple of years.

I am in a student house now with about one double socket per room, so each room has about two 4 way trailing sockets (I did the PAT testing my self and made up each of the 4 ways with MK stock). We can trip the rings with ease when we fully load them, say on the way out on a night out that is 4 heaters, hair dryers, 4 computers, and anything else you can think of been on at the same time. I put it down to inrush on an all ready loaded ring. If I was not living here the residents would be constantly without power waiting for the landlord to show and he is not that fast. I would go with a ring for each room and emergency lighting, most sparks I know back home go with this method. We have a 60A cut and I would love to get my clamp meter back to see what we are running at on a normal busy day.

Most of my freinds houses are badly rewired mostly DIY jobs from the looks of it but there are a few that have been done really well with 3 phase, sub mains in swa and metal clad cu's and lots of FPS. But most student houses I have found are badly maintained.

Adam

Sponsored Links
ring main for each room and a coin op meter for each... ;) ..

make sure you get your money from them then...

ring main for each room and a coin op meter for each... ;) ..

make sure you get your money from them then...

That is not such a bad idea. Maybe not a coin op meter but a way of letting the students sort out who has used the most electricity. It can be very unfair if one student uses a lot more power than the others yet only pays an equal share of the bill.

in pratice any student accomodation is likely to be done on a tight budget with minimal numbers of sockets etc. Students expect to have to use lots of extention leads to get arround this.

It is more expensive to replace a scorched socket than to fit a couple of extra sockets during the re-wire.

A 20a radial in to each room and coin meter running at 50% over tariff should provide payback in a year or so.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the replies.

No rewire required.

Going to convert the two single sockets in each bedroom to two doubles.

It's all tax deductible - let's get it right.

:D

OK - new development!

Electrician says council can't make me change sockets - Council says I must to comply with Housing Act.

Going to change them anyway but want to do it myself. I thought this was not under part P as I am just changing sockets on existing circuit but electrician says I am not allowed to do it myself.

It's not a HMO yet so where do I stand? Can I do it myself or not?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back