twin and earth age in a home

• Thread starter llewellyn63
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
Even if it has PVC T&E, it could still be 40 years old, so the installation will be ready for updating.

I find the presence of Green (not G&Y) earth sheathing is a bad sign

And tiny main bonds.

I would date it by the style of the majority of accesories, especially if mk

Not always possible.

I've seen plenty of houses with 50s or 60s wiring (known as no lighting cpcs) yet fittings are either easily 80s or quite modern.

Sponsored Links
Well, a lot of BAS's input is very helpful. This particular list is a great guide for anybody who is not completely au fait with the requirements of electrical works.

You, Mr Fingers, may well learn something.

At times, yes he is very helpful, but at best he's rude and arrogant and his utter drivel could easily be trimmed down to the actual points he wishes to make.

, I aint seen many 50s or 60s installations done in Twin and earth
and if all the accesories were only fitted maybe 70s or 80s
would it be likely a majority have all been replaced again

bungalow is going to be all rewired and take no chances with the old red and black colours, then things can be added and taken away, upgrades :D

There are many ways to estimate the age of the wiring.

Experience will help.

Looking at the colour of the earth sleeving, as mentioned, may be helpful.

Looking at what type of cable clips have been used - metal buckle clips SUGGESTS over 40 years.

Green slime emerging from the ends of the cable suggests over 40 years, as does stranded conductors, or lack of earth.

Looking at the accessories fitted MAY match the date of the wiring.

NONE of the above will give a definite answer, but an experienced electrician can usually tell the age of such things.

Send pictures of inside some fittings, ONLY if you are competent to do this safely. Otherwise get a decent electrician round to have a look.

Not really got a camera that can get a good photo of things but thanks for help

Some T and E actually has the date on the sheathing
True (although I don't know how far back in history that goes) - but, even if it does, that merely tells one the age of the 'wire', not necessary the 'wiring' - after all, some people are, for one reason or another, still installing pre-harmonisation cable today. Whilst the age of the cable is one issue, the age of the wiring installation is (provided the cable is PVC!) probably more important.

Kind Regards, John

cable is gray pvc, I think year on twin and earth cables started in 2005 or so, i could be wrong.

any one know the age of the Loop system in house old lights because thats what mine are but in red and black with earths there??

cable is gray pvc, I think year on twin and earth cables started in 2005 or so, i could be wrong.
Grey PVC-sheathed cable has been aroiund for around 50 years. Cables with 'harmonised colours' insulation of the cores (brown/blue, rather than earlier red/black) first became available in the UK around early 2004. Pre-metric (i.e.'Imperial') grey PVC-sheathed cable can be identified by the fact that the cores of all sizes are stranded (whereas 1.0, 1.5 and 2.5mm² metric T&E cable have solid cores).

Kind Regards, john

The earth in the lighting cable is the relavant factor.
What colour sleeving if any on the earths
For a bungalow its likely the whole circuit was done from a 100 metre coil.
Ignore saladfingers as he is unlikely to have seen that cable in the 50s and im not so sure it was around even in the early 60s

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back