twin and earth age in a home

• Thread starter llewellyn63
  • Start date
bungalow was built in 1965
sleeving on earth is dark green but as yellow there too
sleeving is not like what is used now in colour shades

Sponsored Links
Ignore saladfingers as he is unlikely to have seen that cable in the 50s and im not so sure it was around even in the early 60s

Oh really?

Ignore you more like since you're unaware of what was actually installed in houses previously :rolleyes:

Aas stated above, its impossible to properly age an installation without some detailed on-site research.

Even having done that, the question of an installation of any age is: is it fit for purpose. This can only be determined by carrying out tests and coming up with an EICR to identify what needs to be done.

There is a guide on older wiring and some information on ages in the CURRENT version of The Approved Document of guidance to BR Part P.

Check it out HERE , Pages 34 - 39.

Sponsored Links
I think I know what MOD11's New Year resolution was!

But its getting a bit OTT, IMO.

I really now have no idea what anybody is replying too....or is that my age?
Is it time for my walk?

thanks for your help everyone...

getting rewired take no chances..

end.................................................................................................

Ignore saladfingers as he is unlikely to have seen that cable in the 50s and im not so sure it was around even in the early 60s

Oh really?

Ignore you more like since you're unaware of what was actually installed in houses previously :rolleyes:

Well Afaik the 14th regs in 1966 introduced T and E for lighting, so 3/029 with earth would not have been too popular before that, even if they did make it

Oh really?

Well Afaik the 14th regs in 1966 introduced T and E for lighting, so 3/029 with earth would not have been too popular before that, even if they did make it

It was in the 60s that pvc sheathed twin AND twin and earth were introduced.

Prior to that, twin & twin+e was tough rubber sheathed and vulcansised rubber.

Oh really?

Wrong. Early PVC twin and earth was introduced before that, around the early 50s I would estimate.

Rubber and vir were still used, as there was an 'overlap' period.

Oh really?

Wrong. Early PVC twin and earth was introduced before that, around the early 50s I would estimate.

Rubber and vir were still used, as there was an 'overlap' period.

Sorry, I should have said 'more common place' rather than introduced. However, you say you 'would estimate', rather than a matter of fact. But regardless this has come about as 333cocky333 doesn't seem to think twin or twin+e sheathed even existed back in the days.

But I'm not wrong in what I've been saying, it's 333rocky333 who's wrong.

Oh really?

Before 1966 it was of course quite common use pvc twin and earth for lighting. Often some houses would be designed to have metal light fittings. However, it was also common not to have earths at the switch drops, as the switches were so often plastic - despite having metal back boxes, with nylon lugs.

Before 1966 it was of course quite common use pvc twin and earth for lighting. Often some houses would be designed to have metal light fittings. However, it was also common not to have earths at the switch drops, as the switches were so often plastic - despite having metal back boxes, with nylon lugs.

My house is still like that, mostly metal back boxes with the nylon tugs. It's still on it's original wiring which runs in the cavities from the CU to where it all runs off.

Well if as you say you have seen many houses wired in the 50s and early 60s with lighting done in Pvc twin and Earth then i must be mistaken and happy to admit i was wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back