twin and earth age in a home

• Thread starter llewellyn63
  • Start date
Just because the property may have had a fuse board change/update in the past, does not mean the hardwiring has been updated at the same time.
My advise to you would be to ask the Vendor for an electrical installation condition report (EICR). That should flag up any issues.
The age of twin and earth can vary in age as it was being phased out in 2004 but that does not mean that it could not have been installed more recently. Concerns would arise if the sheath of the cable is black, as it could be VIR cable which then would rewire to be replaced.

The owns can not say or dont know about (EICR) hes in a home now and say no idea.
i was thinkin the consumer unit could have been upgraded and not the cabes as well

So apart from wanting to know how old it is, what's the actual concern here? Just general condition?

if i should get the bungalow rewired or not??
is it right that new twin and earth is good for 70 years now? or 25 years?

Well, it's unlikely that the vendor will pay for an EICR, as it's not mandatory for the sale, unless they're desperate and you know that and play on it.

Alternatively, pay to get one done yourself if you really like the place and don't want to lose out on getting it.

New wiring will usually outlive a new owner, but entirely depends on any butchering during installaton or in the future.

Some people rip cables through holes on rewires, not knowing that the friction causes so much heat and can easily wear away the insulation.

thanks for your help
I was getting comsumer unit upgraded and all fitting changed but i think i get the hole thing done as i dont know age of wiring, no point saving £600 to cost me 3 times that in 5 years time

Well, have a look at the lighting circuit, if it's really old, there'll be no CPCs, so at least you know you're spending money wisely.

They is a earthing on the lights if thats what you mean?

Sponsored Links
Just because the property may have had a fuse board change/update in the past, does not mean the hardwiring has been updated at the same time.
My advise to you would be to ask the Vendor for an electrical installation condition report (EICR). That should flag up any issues.
The age of twin and earth can vary in age as it was being phased out in 2004 but that does not mean that it could not have been installed more recently. Concerns would arise if the sheath of the cable is black, as it could be VIR cable which then would rewire to be replaced.

The owns can not say or dont know about (EICR) hes in a home now and say no idea.
i was thinkin the consumer unit could have been upgraded and not the cabes as well

So apart from wanting to know how old it is, what's the actual concern here? Just general condition?

if i should get the bungalow rewired or not??
is it right that new twin and earth is good for 70 years now? or 25 years?

Well, it's unlikely that the vendor will pay for an EICR, as it's not mandatory for the sale, unless they're desperate and you know that and play on it.

Alternatively, pay to get one done yourself if you really like the place and don't want to lose out on getting it.

New wiring will usually outlive a new owner, but entirely depends on any butchering during installaton or in the future.

Some people rip cables through holes on rewires, not knowing that the friction causes so much heat and can easily wear away the insulation.

thanks for your help
I was getting comsumer unit upgraded and all fitting changed but i think i get the hole thing done as i dont know age of wiring, no point saving £600 to cost me 3 times that in 5 years time

Well, have a look at the lighting circuit, if it's really old, there'll be no CPCs, so at least you know you're spending money wisely.

They is a earthing on the lights if thats what you mean?

Earth, yes. It could still be quite old though. Sometimes when the sleeving feels sticky to the touch is a good indication that it's been there for a very long time.

Please stop using quotes of quotes of quotes of quotes of quotes, my screen is filling up!!

If you are going to do a full renovation anyway this is a good time to rip everything to bits, add more sockets etc!
Without seeing the installation myself I cannot say wether or not it needs rewired so you ideally need a sparky to take a look.

yeah the bungalow is getting updated in every room

Sponsored Links
Please stop using quotes of quotes of quotes of quotes of quotes, my screen is filling up!!

Pardon? :LOL:

Now is the time to consider a re-wire before you start decorating - to do it later will probably mean destroying your decor, ripping up laminate flooring etc. Also means access will be nice and simple for the sparky.

The age of twin and earth can vary in age as it was being phased out in 2004...
Really?
Twin and earth is still alive and kicking
Not in red and black it's not.
Yeah, we all know that, but that's not what he said.
Sorry for any confusing, although I forgot to mention red and black, that is what my post was direct at. I hope because the OP was in essence referring to these colours that my post was of interpreted in that why.

Now is the time to consider a re-wire before you start decorating - to do it later will probably mean destroying your decor, ripping up laminate flooring etc. Also means access will be nice and simple for the sparky.

Bungalow as soild flooring and all walls are plaster board, outer walls too because bungalow was built with a inner metal frame work, so its 50% loft work

Ban-All-Sheds has an extensive list of all the things you might like to think about when renovating/rewiring.

Hopefully he'll be along shortly with some input....

Ban-All-Sheds has an extensive list of all the things you might like to think about when renovating/rewiring.

Hopefully?

Easy, Taylor, easy.

Regrettably, more like.

Hopefully?

Easy, Taylor, easy.

Regrettably, more like.

ok i stay online sounds good

I think the pub sounds like a better option.

But the next time you need a cure for insomnia, is a time worth considering reading BAS's ramblings.

I would date it by the style of the majority of accesories, especially if mk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back