star ceiling kits - fibre optic lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone fitted a fibre optic star light ceiling? i'm considering it in my single story extension, not sure about access and hubbie thinks it's a bit of a mad idea. Any ideas gratefully accepted :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hello.
Any chance of a 'link' to the light fitting please ??

Ed

Hi, if its the ones with about 100 fibre optic strands that go in to the ceiling then yes i've fitted them.
Aslong as you have access above the room for all the strands, a lot of patience and a very thin drill bit ( 1mm ) you'll be fine!
IMO the best way to do it is have a swith supplying a socket up where the fibre optic controller so you can switch them on and off easily.

I have done a couple.

A very boring laborious job.

As said, drill loads of holes randomly but carefully spaced on the ceiling. If you hit a joist, just move a bit - no point trying to miss them to begin with! Once you have hit a couple you will get an idea!

The worst bit is going in the loft and trying to find 100-200 tiny holes to place the fibre ends down. And then when you move the fibreglass insulation, everything moves and pulls out!

If you have not got a loft, don't even go there.

If you reallllllly want them, go for it. Not my cup of tea, and to be honest, a few years down the line it won't be yours either!

Sponsored Links
I have seen two installations of this

One was "good" in that it appeared completely random placement of fibres with no obvious joist lines without fibres. ( until one worked out where the joists were ) The other was spoiled by the joist lines being easily discernable.

Definately a thing one likes or hates.........

3 x 8ft striplights in the loft and just drill the holes.... no need for fibre optics... :)

I have seen this type of installation in a local (very modern) indian restaurant, they installed a dropped ceiling, with a ledge around the edge. In the main dropped ceiling section was the fibres, and on the ledge was coloured lights that shine against the upper ceiling and walls. They all change colours together. Very good effect, and its the main source of lighting there too.

I have seen this type of installation in a local (very modern) indian restaurant, they installed a dropped ceiling, with a ledge around the edge. In the main dropped ceiling section was the fibres, and on the ledge was coloured lights that shine against the upper ceiling and walls. They all change colours together. Very good effect, and its the main source of lighting there too.

thanks for all replies, very helpful. I need to check access in the loft before i decide i think! ;)

You could hang a "cloud" of MDF from the ceiling with the fibre lighting fitted..

It'll save your ceiling,,, make for an easier more random install and be easier to drill on the floor...

HTH

problem is, clouds obscure the stars, and the area that isn't cloud would have no lights on it... kind of arse about face...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back