The crumbustion chamber?

They don't say that in the plumbing forum. A DIYer that is incompetent but doesn't realise it is innocent in the eyes of the law. The qualified gas fitter should know better and is jailed.
Absolutely ... Perhaps LargeWrench can supply some media links to DIY'ers who have been prosecuted for doing their own gas.

We've certainly seen postings here of gas fitters who have.

The law is about the regulation of tradesmen not incompetent DIY'ers.

And quite right IMO.

MW

Sponsored Links
Do you need any qualifications to DIY lpg in a home situation, with bottles or with a tank?

There is no statutory requirement to hold any particular qualifications to do gas work in your own home, whether LP gas or otherwise.

There's no requirement to hold any qualifications to do DIY gas work, only a requirement to be competent. However the health & safety authority only recognise the ACS qualification as proof of competency. So unless a DIY'er has passed his ACS he'd be up in court if anything ever went wrong.

Bur not if he is competent and does it right. Nobody has ever been charged with doing it right.

Try reading what i said :rolleyes:

If a DIY'er got something WRONG, how could he then be competent? In the eyes of the law the only way of proving competence in gas work is by passing the ACS examinations.

How could a man in the street be breaking the law.... In his own home...

Do you need any qualifications to DIY lpg in a home situation, with bottles or with a tank?

There is no statutory requirement to hold any particular qualifications to do gas work in your own home, whether LP gas or otherwise.

There's no requirement to hold any qualifications to do DIY gas work, only a requirement to be competent. However the health & safety authority only recognise the ACS qualification as proof of competency. So unless a DIY'er has passed his ACS he'd be up in court if anything ever went wrong.

Bur not if he is competent and does it right. Nobody has ever been charged with doing it right.

Try reading what i said :rolleyes:

If a DIY'er got something WRONG, how could he then be competent? In the eyes of the law the only way of proving competence in gas work is by passing the ACS examinations.

How could a man in the street be breaking the law.... In his own home...

Have a missed something here? Has the law changed recently and the law now doesn't apply if your in your own home? Strange one that not heard about this yet!

I'm not too fussed tbh, if somebody is too tight fisted to pay somebody to do the job correctly then that's their choice. I wonder what the police what have to say though if a DIY'er did some gas work at home and caused an explosion which blew up his house and his two neighbours each side. "Sorry officer, i though i could do what i wanted and the law didn't count as i was in my own home" :LOL:

If he blew up his house and the ones either side then I'm sure the police officer would say Hello Hello Hello.

MW

Sponsored Links
I am quite surprised how people would even contenplate allowing a plumber or DIY to install a boiler.

Yes anyone can hang a boiler but I would be surprised if they could commission it and carry out the safety checks.

And what would they do if there was a problem? How would they know there is a problem.

Boiler on, heating working and hot water okay - Yes must be safe and correctly installed??

I would never commission and sign of a boiler for anyone.

If I need a new fuse box fitted I would get a PROFESSIONAL electrician. If you need a boiler fitted get a Professional Gas Engineer who actually inderstands how the boiler works and what should be happening.

And yes I make a very good living out of installing and maintaning boilers but I work very hard and keep upto date with ongoing training, certificates and building regulations.

joe it not rocket science but it still far beyond you thicko :LOL:
as if it was not you would do short course get the quals and save your self money long term but as said your too thick to be gas engineer

Have a missed something here? Has the law changed recently and the law now doesn't apply if your in your own home? Strange one that not heard about this yet!

There's no recent change. There is simply no legislation which says that a person may not carry out work on gas systems in his own home.

There's no recent change. There is simply no legislation which says that a person may not carry out work on gas systems in his own home.

I think he's referring to point you made about not being able to break the law in your own home.

joe it not rocket science but it still far beyond you thicko :LOL:
as if it was not you would do short course get the quals and save your self money long term but as said your too thick to be gas engineer

See what I mean? You are very nearly illiterate. :rolleyes:

no it is legal but invalditas your home insurance and if that could backrupt you if some thing goes BANG

Exactly, so we will keep on doing our own gas work. It's not rocket science is it? You don't need a degree. Most gas fitters are thick as sh*t.

Im pleased for you and I dont believe anyone has said that you shouldn't.

No its not rocket science and seeing as we're thick as **** and you, the 'house renovator', obviously knows it all I can't understand why you and your GD bumchums are getting so upset you don't have access.

The law is quite clear and you need to be compitent in gas work to work on gas in your own home. If you end up killing someone or damaging property etc you will be prosicuted.

Plus why take the risk?

I think he's referring to point you made about not being able to break the law in your own home.

Not my point. And of course it's quite possible to fall foul of all sorts of laws in one's own home.

What if a gas fitter fits a boiler and gets the electrics wrong that causes a fire and the house burns down?

Sponsored Links
Back