They were all in the same boat

I find the loss of life sad; you delight in it.We have a different set of values, so not much point arguing over it.

The loss of life is indeed very sad and it's easy for us to sit here in our armchairs and dismiss the situation when we havn't experienced it first hand.

BUT. It is not the job of the UK to sort the Worlds problems. Compared to many countries we do more than enough as it is. If there were one or two boat loads of people in trouble, I would have no problem with the UK itself sending a rescue party and bringing them back here. But it's a constant stream of what seems like virtually every poor country of the World making their way here.

As in all situations, problem solving has to be prioritised. My priorities start at home with my family, then my country, then the rest of the world.

The loss of life that I am most upset about are those lost in recent terrorist attacks in this country. Also the loss of life in our hospitals because they can't cope with the amount of people in the Country.

Sponsored Links
The people who risk this want a better life than their own country offers.
The people who "run" that country don't want them to have the better life.
If "we" try to do anything about that, it's "regime change", patronising, imperialism, colonialism. ..
The population have to want to change things for themselves, then do it.
Trouble is, the ruling elites / religion are willing to go to ANY lengths to stop that happening.

Another problem is that these ruling elites are funded by our foreign aid programme.

Inconsequential. They pillage their own people of billions, send their families abroad for their education and officer training, and live in gilded palaces.

Pretty much any sanction hurts the people more than it hurts the rulers.

I find the loss of life sad; you delight in it.We have a different set of values, so not much point arguing over it.

The loss of life is indeed very sad and it's easy for us to sit here in our armchairs and dismiss the situation when we havn't experienced it first hand.

BUT. It is not the job of the UK to sort the Worlds problems. Compared to many countries we do more than enough as it is. If there were one or two boat loads of people in trouble, I would have no problem with the UK itself sending a rescue party and bringing them back here. But it's a constant stream of what seems like virtually every poor country of the World making their way here.

As in all situations, problem solving has to be prioritised. My priorities start at home with my family, then my country, then the rest of the world.

The loss of life that I am most upset about are those lost in recent terrorist attacks in this country. Also the loss of life in our hospitals because they can't cope with the amount of people in the Country.

I'm not sure how your 'but' is relevant to the quote from me?

My contribution to this thread is making clear the distaste I feel at those who are celebrating loss of life; and a reminder of the steps society historically take to get to that stage,where we regard a person as 'untermensch' .

They are all on their way to the UK.

...they head to France, France encourages them to come to the UK. I wonder why.

As said they're all on the way here.

WHERE THEY GO

The figures below show the number of refugees in European countries, as recorded by the UNHCR, in mid-2014.
Countries not listed had significantly smaller numbers.

Many of these refugees will go on to seek asylum. For example, last year Germany decided on 97,275 asylum cases, allowing 40,560 applications.

The UK took 25,870 decisions and granted 10,050 applications.

:: Germany 200,805

:: France 237,985

:: UK 126,055

:: Sweden 114,175

:: Italy 76,263

:: Netherlands 74,707

:: Switzerland 57,783

:: Austria 55,598

:: Norway 46,106

:: Belgium 29,179

Sponsored Links
They seek asylum in countries that are easiest to get asylum. When they get permanent right to remain they come to the UK.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
They seek asylum in countries that are easiest to get asylum. When they get permanent right to remain they come to the UK.
That makes no sense whatsoever. Have you got any evidence to support this claim?

Just take a look around London. The white indigenous population are a minority. Give me one more capital city in Europe where the indigenous population is a minority. Just one will do. (he won't)

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
That makes no sense whatsoever.
Have you got any evidence to support this claim?

Makes plenty of sense - get your foot in the easiest door, so to speak. Once in, EU freedom of movement means that any particular state cannot deny free movement to any other member state's people.
Can't help with the evidence bit though.

Some would improve their understanding, maybe even increase their empathy or sympathy, to read a book recounting the experiences of forced migrants.
This is one that looks to gather several experiences and perhaps take a more philosophical view on forced migration.
https://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=12051

I haven't read this one although I have read a few other similar books, about other diaspora.

The over-riding emotion that I gather from such experiences is that the migrants have accepted that they will probably die young, perhaps very young.
Their choice is simply a matter of where and how they will probably die, at home from starvation, violence, etc., or at sea, by drowning, piracy, etc. If they are to be one of the lucky ones that survive and prosper they will live the rest of their lives trying to support their families, or what remains of them, who were unable to migrate.

Has society, even the racist few that contribute to GD on DIYnot been reduced to wanting, gloating over deaths of others?
How low have those fallen? How much lower will they stoop?

Welcome back reindeer. Where were you? We were all getting a bit worried. :mrgreen:

Some would improve their understanding, maybe even increase their empathy or sympathy, to read a book recounting the experiences of forced migrants.

I haven't read this one

Marvellous. No point recommending it then. Might be rubbish.

The over-riding emotion that I gather from such experiences is that the migrants have accepted that they will probably die young, perhaps very young.

Nonsense.
A few opinions and anecdotes in a couple of books you HAVE read, is hardly anything more than your 'sweeping statement of the year.'

Give that bonce a shake. :D

They are all on their way to the UK.

...they head to France, France encourages them to come to the UK. I wonder why.

As said they're all on the way here.

WHERE THEY GO

The figures below show the number of refugees in European countries, as recorded by the UNHCR, in mid-2014.

Many of these refugees will go on to seek asylum. For example, last year Germany decided on 97,275 asylum cases, allowing 40,560 applications.

Wot no link? Lots of figures on the web, all different.

WHERE THEY GO

Just a couple of quick questions, Nosey, if you will.

Does the UK figure include all the immigrants who have sneaked past our wonderful border control agency?

Does the France figure include the immigrants waiting at Calais?

Busy time for me, plus the opinions of the few racist posters on GD fill me with loathing with some of the emotions expressed.
Not something I want to experience often.

I haven't read this one

Marvellous. No point recommending it then. Might be rubbish.
I didn't recommend it, I suggested it "looks to" and "perhaps" it takes a higher level overview.

Nonsense.
A few opinions and anecdotes in a couple of books you HAVE read, is hardly anything more than your 'sweeping statement of the year.'

Give that bonce a shake. :D
Typical! You make a sweeping assessment of the book, probably without even reading the synopsis, and you suggest that I'm easily influenced.

As usual you do not address the points but instead prefer to attack the person.

Just referring to a tem that micilin used:
The term "Untermensch" was used repeatedly in writings and speeches directed against the Jews, the most notorious example being a 1935 SS publication with the title "Der Untermensch", which contains an antisemitic tirade sometimes considered to be an extract from a speech by Heinrich Himmler. In the pamphlet The SS as an Anti-Bolshevist Fighting Organization, published in 1936, Himmler wrote:

We shall take care that never again in Germany, the heart of Europe, will the Jewish-Bolshevistic revolution of subhumans be able to be kindled either from within or through emissaries from without.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untermensch[/QUOTE]
One could almost rephrase Himmler's comment with the kind of sentiments that have been expressed time and time again by some posters:
"We shall take care that never again in Germany (England), the heart of Europe, will the Jewish-Bolshevistic revolution (immigration) of subhumans be able to be kindled either from within (by governmental policy?)or through emissaries from without (Lefties, limpdems, French?).

Himmler made that comment in 1935! The racists haven't learned anything from history.
Hitler wanted to exterminate a race (probably just expressing and adopting what he assumed was the popular policy of the day in order to help his election), Pol Pot wanted to establish an agricultural economy, Stalin wanted to create a centralized economy. Ferdinand and Isabella wanted to maintain Catholicism (by forcibly converting or exporting Jews and Muslims). General Pinochet wanted to introduce a free market.
There are many other infamous figures in history.
Let's hope Farage with his desire for the priority of the indigenous population is not added to the list of infamous names.
I hope that the majority of the UK population are less easily led by extremists.

Typical! You make a sweeping assessment of the book, probably without even reading the synopsis, and you suggest that I'm easily influenced.

I don't give a f*ck about the book, neither should you 'til you've read it. :D

Sponsored Links
Back