To say, or not to say, that is the question

Would you speak out about the situation described, or something similar ?

• Yes - even though it's nothing to do with me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - safety is everyone's concern and it's my duty to speak up

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • No - they've made the choice to go there, not my concern

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • No - I feel should do but I don't want to be seen to be interfering

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Not sure - different situations might get different responses

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There are some nosey winkers in this world with nothing better to do than interfere into other people's lives.

Get a life.

Sponsored Links
This happened to me where I was working. Contractors went onto one of our roofs to do work, and went up without safety harness or hand rails, I went to my boss and told him, I was thanked and the contractors were thrown off site. It seems had they been caught it would not have only been the contractors in court, but also my firm for letting them. So my boss was happy I told him before anyone told the HSE and got him into trouble.

I am sure the contractors were not happy though, that was the last contract they ever got, they were not ever considered for any after that point.

However had it been completely unconnected with me who would I tell? Problem telling HSE is people who really had no idea what was going on can end up in court.

I would never fit solar panels..................................................in Cumbria.

And neither would I fit them when it's raining or a little windy:whistle:

you'd have to question whoever is responsible for employing them

Why do we have to question that?

Do we need to go around questioning everyone's employment rights and contract? What does that have to do with anyone else?

Shop workers, warehouse workers, security guards, young doctors? Are all those our responsibility to make us contact their employers?
If you quote something I write include the whole sentence not just a Snippet, I think you work in roofing/ You know doubt have ladders and are aware of angles needed to ensure they don't slip, use scaffolding at times? Why? see what i'm getting at here.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
a lot of people, myself included are quite competent at wandering around on roofs without the need for harnesses getting in the way
what looks dangerous to some people doesn't to others, mostly its fear, you'd be scared to do it so it must be dangerous!
keep ya nose out and leave em to do their job

a lot of people, myself included are quite competent at wandering around on roofs without the need for harnesses getting in the way
what looks dangerous to some people doesn't to others, mostly its fear, you'd be scared to do it so it must be dangerous!
keep ya nose out and leave em to do their job
If it is not dangerous then they will be left to do their job.

There are some nosey winkers in this world with nothing better to do than interfere into other people's lives.

Get a life.
Why don't you get some morals, and a sense of responsibility?

Yes nosey you unethical person. Why don't you walk around Asda carpark on Saturday checking car reg's for tax, insurance and MOT's.

Then next week, come and check my desk to see if my Tippex, is solvent-free or contains toluene - which is banned by our COSHH assessments.

Don't forget to report every single builder you drive past for not wearing their helmet, and plumbers vans for not having haz-mat stickers on the back. Think of the children.

Do your duty and no slacking.

Why do we have to question that?
Because unless you think that the people up there are just a bunch of random strangers who simultaneously decided to gratuitously install solar panels on that roof, somebody sent them up there.

That's the thing isn't it, no third party knows that they they have been "sent up there". Neither do they know anything about the job, the people, the contract, the safety arrangements, the training etc.

They just think that they do.

So long as they're not doing anything to endanger others, it's their business. There's far too much government interference in ordering people to do things "for their own good."

I would never fit solar panels..................................................in Cumbria.
We have a pretty good sunshine record here in Redding (88% recorded as the proportion of possible total sunshine between sunrise and sunset throughout the year), and I wouldn't fit them here either!

Nope, I would let them get on, and wouldn't want to be part of the blame for distracting their attention and they fall. I am not a policeman for H&S, so that is me, if they have any sense, they simply would or should not go up there in wind and rain, other than that yes I would stop a person standing on the edge of a bridge about to jump to commit a suicide.

Sadly they must be non British workers who dare go out in rain and wet, and risk their life, because British workers are scared of H&S and non British workers Don't know what is H&S

At least they should have the decency to use an umbrella when it is raining!;)

Why don't you get some morals, and a sense of responsibility?
Oh how very noble of you. And just how far would you go, on your altruistic crusade of selfless morality?
If it was raining and cold outside, about as far as twitching the curtains and causing other people misery from the sanctity and warmth of your office window.

Such bravery.:rolleyes:

You are sanctimonious and disingenuous and are kidding no one.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back