Towerstat RF Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, was wondering if someone could help me.

I have a Towerstat RF thermostat with a receiver that activates a BAXI combi boiler.

I'm having the issue that the boiler will not turn off, regardless of what the thermostat is telling it.

The thermostat seems to be sending the signal (brand new Duracell batteries), but the receiver is not having it. Both the red and green lights are on constantly on the receiver. I've pulled the front off the receiver to turn it off completely but seems to have made no difference.

I've read on a couple of threads something about setting a code, or pairing the thermostat to the receiver, but I can see no way of doing this and the user manual doesn't mention it, so I think maybe I have an older version than some people.

This is the one I have with a square receiver with no identifying marks on it:

upload_2021-1-7_17-30-21.png

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Claire

Sponsored Links
Page 7 of https://www.tfc-group.co.uk/assets/graphics/static/STT_RF.pdf tells you how to set the identities

It may be a neighbour has a RF thermostat that uses the same data format and that thermostat is telling your receiver to keep the boiler active.

EDIT a well designed system would have a time out function that if the receiver heard nothing from the thermostat for say 5 minutes then the receiver would time out and switch the boiler OFF. Try taking the batteries out of the thermostat and see in the receiver does time out.

Different brand name but same thermostat and slowly over time needed to place it closer and closer to the receiver for it to work. I tried swapping the codes, but no change.

I've literally got it attached to the receiver and it doesn't work, and it seemed to happen suddenly, it wasn't a gradual deterioration over time.

For anyone that can help, this is the receiver I have.

upload_2021-1-7_17-43-19.png

Sponsored Links
Page 7 of https://www.tfc-group.co.uk/assets/graphics/static/STT_RF.pdf tells you how to set the identities

It may be a neighbour has a RF thermostat that uses the same data format and that thermostat is telling your receiver to keep the boiler active.

I've seen this, but was hoping to not have to pull the receiver off the wall to pull out a jumper if that isn't what's wrong with it.

Would next door's (or whoever) tell mine to be on constantly regardless of temperature and time of day, or is it just because they are confusing each other.

Nothing has changed next door that I'm aware of to cause this.

EDIT a well designed system would have a time out function that if the receiver heard nothing from the thermostat for say 5 minutes then the receiver would time out and switch the boiler OFF. Try taking the batteries out of the thermostat and see in the receiver does time out.

Just seen your edit.

I've taken out the batteries until the internal one doesn't hold the info any more, and nope, boiler still happily running. It did turn off and I got excited, but then it came back on again. I've got the radiator temp turned right down so that it at least isn't burning gas constantly, but the pump is running.

I'll take the front off the receiver to check the DIPs, and switch one and remove a corresponding one in the thermostat and see if that works.

Claire

Is there no time clock on the front of boiler? Or move selector to hot water only until you need the heating? Just until you’re sorted?

Is there no time clock on the front of boiler? Or move selector to hot water only until you need the heating? Just until you’re sorted?

Yes, I do that at night, and it's bloody freezing in the morning!

I'm working from home so can't leave it off all day. I do turn it off sometimes, but then back on when it's cold. It's like losing the TV remote :D

The weird thing is that it works perfectly to turn the thing on, just not off....

Try pressing the reset button, you will have to put your times back in but it will reset to factory settings

Thanks, but I've taken the batteries out until it went blank and had to reprogramme - isn't that the same thing? Or not? I think there's a hole you can poke about in to reset it.

Should I turn off the receiver whilst I do that or does it not matter?

Yes that tiny little hole, with the receiver powered up just use a paper clip or a small pen nib and press that in gently, it will go blank then start doing start doing strange things on the display , this is it resetting

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Yes that tiny little hole, with the receiver powered up just use a paper clip or a small pen nib and press that in gently, it will go blank then start doing start doing strange things on the display , this is it resetting

Thanks, I've done that. It went blank then just came back on with 20 degrees set, and the clock at 0:00 and turned on the boiler.

I will re-programme it again now? And then see if when I reduce the temp it turns off?

Bloody thing!

Nope, it turned on ok, now running when it wants to (fan sign on thermostat is off) and green light on receiver on constantly.

I think pulling the receiver apart is the next step.

what happens when you turn the set temp down to minimum and leave for 5 mins , does the green light go out ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back