Viessmann or Worcester Bosch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're in the process of having our boiler moved and changed.

We've chosen an installer and accepted the quote. The installer is suggesting either the Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24Ri or the Viessmann Vitodens 100 26KW. The system will retain the existing hot water cyclinder and radiators.

The installer is fully accredited to fit both and will be offering a 3 year warranty on the WB and 5 years on the Veissmann (10 years on the heat exchanger).

The installation will include a power flush and a magnaclean.

Initially, I was inclined to go with the Veissmann but, having indicated my choice, I've read a lot of horror stories about faults with this model. I get the impression that the build quality isn't as good as the larger models. However, I also read that, more recently, the quality of this product has improved.

The cost of the installation of each is within a few quid and I can extend the WB guarantee to 5 years for an additional £100.

At this point in time, is the Veissmann a reliable product or would I be better off with the WB ?

Many thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
We've fitted both manufacturers in our housing stock.

Sadly, we have 200+ of the early Vitodens 100's, and they were and still are a nightmare. One of our sister companies is fitting the Vitodens 200 which seem quieter, but they have still had runs of bad diverter valves on the combis.

Warranty parts can be a problem with Viessmann. I have an email on my desk where expansion vessels on are back order, before Christmas we were having difficulty getting PCBs and some black pipe off the aqua block, and deliveries of service kits were non-existent for over three weeks.

We are having Viessmann in next week because of these and other warranty issues.

On the flip side, WB has been pretty quiet. Been fitting the 24i Jr, 28i Jr, 18Ri and 24i system. We have over 400 fitted since 2007. Few issues with pumps, melting transformers here and there; however, no problem at all sourcing warranty parts.

So in my experience, it's no contest: WB any day.

Thanks for sharing your rather alarming experiences. Certainly, what you have described seems to be in line with the poor reliability of the earlier units.

I'm interested to know if very recent or brand new units straight from the factory are still exhibiting poor relaibility. Any company which is serious about quality can invest money in improving their product. The big question is if their money has had a positive effect. A 5 year warranty gives 5 years peace of mind. However, if all it does is delay inevitable big bills for 5 years, it is a false economy.

Is the Veissmann a match for the Bosch now or is it a gamble which has poor odds?

If it is, I think I am better off paying an extra £100 and buying a WB with an extended warranty.

What's the feeling?

thanks

Ian

We have installed quite a few of both and my preference is the Viessmann - Superb heat exchanger , very quiet running and a great 5 year warranty. Worcester CDI's are a great product but I dont think the ri /i series is as good. The fan and gas valve are both honeywell is the Viessmann and like i said, the heat ex is the buisness.

Sponsored Links
Never fitted a Viessman , but spoke to Stewart Purchase the then M.D of viessman & he imformed me , that they have never had a heat exc' failure due to condensate or flue gas corrosion ( stainless steel) , W.B fitted a few , only because they were asked for , Had a job in a school , were the boilers would have been condensing 16 hours aday 7 days a week , approached W.B , stated that there warranty on Heat exc ' did not cover this use (or abuse ?) commercial ?? viesmann stated no problem
our heat exc' are designed to condense 24 / 7 / 52 weeks of the year , draw your own conclusion ??

viessmann have a very good HX that can also stand having a large delta T over it. it also have a superior burner tech then others. plus the boilers are fairly clever(electronics wise) the 100 less so the 200 more so.

but the down side is they like plastic bits in side the boiler and the last 100 was a dud which i believe they leaned from. also my rep is crap and the people inside the HQ are a bit hit and miss at doing stuff for you...

trying to move away from viessmann to intergas now and i get better support from them(so far)

so, it seems like what I have read elsewhere, is a common thought here as well : excellent heat exchanger and burner but the reliability and, to some extent, the qulaity of other parts of the 100 have tarnished the brand.

This certainly makes me fearful of going with the Veissmann - which is a shame, because on paper, it looks like a decent enough boiler.

thanks

Ian

As stated, i have fitted both and think the viessmann is the better product, but its your choice! Fan and Gas valve are honeywell, which most installers would reccommend as good quality

fmfm20j, i would not worry to much about the plastic parts in the viessmann as they use the better plastics than WB who are the king of god awful plastic bits :LOL:

metal is alway better but it looks like all manufacturers are using or going to start to use plastic water parts :cry:

he's keeping his cylinder, so presumably going for the 100 Compact, which has fewer parts and presumably fewer plastic bits?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back