Viessmann or Worcester Bosch

Thanks once again for the replies. It's been a long day and I'm thoroughly tired. I think I am more confused than before now :cry: : it seems like people are saying that the Veissmann is actually a decent enough unit now that the gremlins are ironed out and that the plastic parts aren't an issue.

So, let me pose the question this way : if you were going to install either the Veissmann 100 or the WB 24i (system - not combi) in your house tomorrow, which of the two would you pick?

Sponsored Links
All i would advise you to check with the vise boiler is - is it one of the makes that is affected by the gas valve leaking issue that they have put a bulletin out for in europe but not uk atm.

They've sent out letters about the Vitocrossal in October/November. Installers just had to call and they would send the o-rings.

One of our installers has called twice after they sent the letter to him -- and to this day, no o-rings delivered.

:rolleyes:

if it is between viessmann and wb i would get the viessmann compact 100 open vent boiler(you can make it sealed system by getting an external expansion vessel and prv) also the open vent boiler has less plastic bits

but... why just them two? when i was faced with replacing my WB floor standing boiler i got a intergas boiler in ;)

Sponsored Links
To the Op:

Is your installer reccommended? have you asked the companys which have quoted you for these boilers their opinion? At least you have met the installer/s which have been to your house, on here you are asking a bunch of strangers who may not have a clue what they are talking about.

If your not happy with them or comfortable enough to approach them with these questions, maybe you need to get more quotes?

I would choose the Viessman , do the installers that are giving you quotes also repair the boiler that they are reccomending/??? never recommend a boiler u cant fix , on a different note ?? have u considerered any other makes , ??? for example the Ideal Logic , this forum could do with some one testing one of those out & reporting back on say a monthly basis :)

in that case get a the new biasi activa, they need testing out and I dont fancy doing it :LOL:

I started off using checkatrade to find recommended installers (of any make) in my area and, from this list I chose three installers to get a quote. All came to our house. We had long discussions with all of them.

Of these, two were offering solutions which I wasn't happy about - either the siting of the boiler or the routing of the condensate piping or the inability to offer the full warranty. One was an accredited WB installer and the other didn't offer any accreditation. One suggested a magclean as an option, the other didn't. Neither suggested any form of system flushing.

The third is the installer who is offering either the Veissmann or the Worcester Bosch. This installer suggested the best solution for the condensate pipe (totally internally in the house) and routinely suggested both a power flush and a magnaclean. They also consulted the installation guidelines for the respective boilers while on site to ensure adherence to the rules. Incidentally, this installer has the highest rating of all of the ones we picked on checkatrade. The installer is an accredited installer of both makes of boiler and also services both types as well. All of these factors gave me more confidence than I got with the first two. The price was higher but I would rather pay a bit more and feel like I was getting a better quality of installation.

I could check further. The problem is, how far do you go? Time is finite and work commitments make it difficult to be around for more installers to come and look. I'm happy with the chosen installer. I just want to be confident about the product(s) being advocated and to make the best choice. Hence the post.

I cannot recommend Worcester Bosch. I got a two year warranty from their company and two and a half years on the bearing in the fan is failing. They suggested that debris from a gas line is infiltrating my fan, very frightening as this would imply that their product sends gas through to the fan and distributes throughout the house, and will take no responsibility for the problem and are demanding £300 just to look at it. They are so smug about their reputation that they will not consider the idea that their product is faulty, even though they had to do a major parts replacement within the first two years.

lots of people have had bad experience with chemicals and power flush so I wouldn't read too much into that...Permament protection is a must though...

Life is short even for installers, and I know that many think our work is simple, but actually its pretty involved.

My advice would be go with the one you feel most comfortable with...don't let the price influence you...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back