who decides when??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Out of interest, does anyone know the answer to this?

Who decides that a religion is a recognised one?

Can I just make one up and how long would it take for it to be recognised?

Do religions have to have a code type thing of its make up and aims etc?

Also, I believe that you can wear a turban on a motorbike instead of a helmet ( I havent checked up on that or anything else on a legal site so I cant be certain)

You can carry an offensive weapon like a big knife if you are a butcher on his way to work or if your religion dictates? :eek:

I think if you are scottish you can wear a weapon down your sock?

Did the court case not find in favour of the girl wanting to wear a full cultural costume to school, despite the school having a uniform policy?

Who is it that decides what is deemed and when it is deemed to be a recognised dress of either a religion or a nationality??

How does it work?

no one I have asked seems to know this?

Could I make up a new religion and go topless to work as my god thinks it is disrepectful to cover my chest?

That was a light hearted quip obviously.... but Im trying to learn much more about all this.

The recent stuff on here about race and religion and sexuality has got me thinking about my own views and what I need to stick with and what I need to change.
I feel stead fast in many of my views but can see areas that I may be hypocritical.

I dont think that are any perfect solutions and there will always be areas that means the otherwise perfect jisaw doesnt fit!

Sponsored Links
Taw,
just had quick scan of that.

So... government dictates what we will and wont be allowed to believe in, is that about right?

So it isnt about individuals believing in what they want to?

Its about making 10000 people believe what you do then the government will believe that what you believe is believable and allowed???

Then, is it the leader of that religion who dictates what one shall wear and eat and how one should pray and face where and whether women should be allowed to speak and whether bodies should be ritually mutilated?

Then who decides when we should step in and say enough is enough?
That you cant mutilate a body in the name of religion?
That one set of human beings will decide that what the others are doing isnt right by their standards.

Where do we draw the line in saying what is allowed and what isnt?

Shoulnt we have a 'law' in all countries that says you cannot mutilate childrens bodies in the name of religion or anything for example?

Or make it law that you can not marry and have sexual intercourse with twelve year old girls as another example?

Is that a religious thing or a national thing?

Should we do away with all religion and quash all countries individual laws and start again?

Make laws for the whole wide world based on caring for each other alone?

Who will dictate these laws?

will it be all sitting round the world wide table and done fairly?
How can I be sure?

Or will it be the physically strongest males who will rule like a pack of dogs?

It isnt going to happen is it?

I digress...

thanks for that info about the census.

Sponsored Links
toffee said:
Out of interest, does anyone know the answer to this?

Who decides that a religion is a recognised one?

Can I just make one up and how long would it take for it to be recognised?

Do religions have to have a code type thing of its make up and aims etc?

Also, I believe that you can wear a turban on a motorbike instead of a helmet....... Been in force for years......Applies to Sikhs

You can carry an offensive weapon like a big knife if you are a butcher on his way to work or if your religion dictates? :eek:

I think if you are scottish you can wear a weapon down your sock? :eek: lucky if it reaches that far :eek: ....Skienen(?) Dhu.........gaelic for small knife ;)

Did the court case not find in favour of the girl wanting to wear a full cultural costume to school, despite the school having a uniform policy.Yes , think it did :idea:

Who is it that decides what is deemed and when it is deemed to be a recognised dress of either a religion or a nationality??

How does it work?

no one I have asked seems to know this?

Could I make up a new religion and go topless to work as my god thinks it is disrepectful to cover my chest?.........Please do:cool:

That was a light hearted quip obviously.... but Im trying to learn much more about all this.

The recent stuff on here about race and religion and sexuality has got me thinking about my own views and what I need to stick with and what I need to change.
I feel stead fast in many of my views but can see areas that I may be hypocritical.

I dont think that are any perfect solutions and there will always be areas that means the otherwise perfect jisaw doesnt fit!

toffee said:
I think if you are scottish you can wear a weapon down your sock?

My weapon hangs somewhere down near my knee but to tuck it into my sock? The mind boggles.

joe

ha.. I guess I shouldve seen that one coming!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Nige F said:
something so confusingly laid out I'm not even going to try and pick it out
Nige - there is no point in quoting somebody's post and then leaving it as a large monolithic block with your responses mixed in with it....

toffee said:
Could I make up a new religion and go topless to work as my god thinks it is disrepectful to cover my chest?
I thought you already had. Isn't this you?

BAS
it is but she is a raven haired lass .. with streaks of grey /life ..lol

Hey, what's my secretary doing posing for pictures? I hope that wasn't taken during working hours.

Sponsored Links
Back