Win 10

Two IT experts on another forum are talking about Win 10 as being poison. Seems it may not be a good as Micosoft are hoping it would be.

Sponsored Links
Some useful information there, SS. However, what's the big rush to install W10? We have nearly a year to play with yet.
Also, I think it's wise to wait and see how it pans out. I'm keeping an eye on reviews and so on to see how things go. If and when the time comes, I have an old laptop - a cast-off of my first wife - that runs W7 and I'll try it out on that first. If it's crap, no big loss, and if MS decide to start charging for updates (as has been rumoured) I shall not need to bother.

I installed it yesterday, took about 6 hours to d/load & install, I left AVG on & there were no problems.
I played about with it last night & didn't like it. So I am now back to Win7 & whilst it took a couple of hours, it seems to be running well & all is back as it was.
So for that well done M$, TOP MARKS

Good news that you can go back to W7 if you don't like W10.

Sponsored Links
Imaged my system disk (win 8.1Pro).
Found around 10 or so failures to complete Win10-Pro install within Win update.
Went searching, found some decent stuff, used the MS Media Creation Tool (see below), worked very well, I haven't made an install disk yet - have imaged the system drive as I get all working as I hope I want !
I must admit even with my data etc on a different drive, everything is working fine - even Classic shell menu (http://www.classicshell.net), which I mentioned before, works as before.
Oh, had to reinstall VMWare Player - no problem, also installed Sandboxie v. 5.01.4 (beta).
All other software Windows Media Player, Win7 calculator, Office 2007 - Good.

A bit dubious about the Auto Updates (see below) Not good if Win update decides to install Windows drivers in place of the best drivers from equipment manufacturer.
Apparently under 'System Properties' > 'Hardware' > 'Device Installation Settings' :- The options for driver updating may not work properly - No proof just heresay at present.

"How to Skip the Line and Upgrade to Windows 10 Now"
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-skip-the-line-and-upgrade-to-windows-10-now-1720854489

"...Use the MS media creation tool to download Windows. This tool provides the best download experience for customers running Windows 7, 8.1 and 10..."
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you have been reading about a "Windows 10 Automatic Updates Install Problem"... That is, all are installed including drivers by default - No choice... Unless.
http://www.askvg.com/fixing-windows-10-automatic-updates-install-problem/

-0-

Last edited:
Yeah, no great rush, JB. But I wanted to give myself maximum time to "road test" it and I know I can revert to Win 7 if I don't like it. I also have the original media so if I want to reinstall Win 7 afresh I can.

If MS start charging for updates, then they would be evil weasels.

Yeah, no great rush, JB. But I wanted to give myself maximum time to "road test" it and I know I can revert to Win 7 if I don't like it. I also have the original media so if I want to reinstall Win 7 afresh I can.

If MS start charging for updates, then they would be evil weasels.
Very wise.

Come to think about it, though, I've read that MS installs updates automatically in W10 and that you can't turn updates off or delay them. So how would they charge? The only possibility I can foresee is that they could turn off updates at their end until a payment is received.

If I took on W10 and they started charging me, I'd be a converter to Linux.

Yup!

Just been playing with the new browser, Edge.

The logo for it (an updated "e" a bit like the old one) looks like Sonic the "edge"-hog!

Imaged my system disk (win 8.1Pro).
I meant to ask you earlier, if I do a 'disc image' and save to an external hard disc, does that mean I can recover absolutely everything that was on my computer?
Would I have to format the HD and then restore the disc image?
On the other hand, if the HD is formatted, wouldn't it need some software on it to allow a restoration of the disc image?

When you image a disk, recovery of that image should return your m/c to the state it was in when the image was made.
With Macrium Reflect freeby imaging program, there is no need to format.
There are other methods of driving the image restoration, but I use a USB 'flash drive' (memory stick or pen drive) as my recovery boot device, this loads a cut down Macrium reflect into memory, from whence it runs.
I then choose the required image from another drive - internal or external - thus the restoration should take place, nothing on the target drive is being used in memory.

Usually there will be plenty of how to vids on such as Youtube - Apart from the 'help' for your particular imaging program.

I recommend always 'verify' an image following its creation - I do that by booting my USB flash drive and verifying from there - Checks that the program is working and the integrity of the image.

-0-

When you image a disk, recovery of that image should return your m/c to the state it was in when the image was made.
Thanks for that very useful information.
I have been using AOMEI Backupper for routine backups, including incremental.

Although I haven't used them yet, this programme appears to have two options that I assume may produce a disk image:
Disk Backup (backup hard disks to an image file), and
Disk Clone (clone a hard disk drive to another).

Despite looking at the help pages (in my experience most help pages don't help at all!) I can't make out which is best or even how they differ.

Any ideas?

Of course, I suppose I could just download and use Macrium Reflect.

Backing up your entire drive: Cloning vs. imaging
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2029832/backing-up-your-entire-drive-cloning-vs-imaging.html

Just one of many 'hits' via Googling, there are probably better resources - 'get out there and find 'em - Then report back' Or,basically. QFO is my outlook.

Sadly, and without acrimony, I cannot imagine backing up / imaging without proof that I am not just bull sh#tting myself that all is good and covered - I have to know !! Verification of a disk image is part of the story - A real restore, near enough total proof.

I have restored an image and also cloned a 320 GB HDD to a 250 GB SSD without problems or 'insider knowledge' - It is work, I guess, and a willingness to get stuck in, research, then have a pop !!

Nothing regarding my PC frightens or really irritates me, down the years from Dos - Through successive Windows iterations, I have pushed MY (limited) envelope of knowledge, and in my 7th decade I am remaining 'in there having a pop' and never gonna give up, I push and push, to be near the point - For a mere user.

Win 8 pro - I brought it on ! Upgraded to 8.1 Pro - Upgraded to Win 10 Pro - Giving it some ! It works- Maybe not brilliant to some insiders... But in my experience whilst condemning an OS the crafty bu##ers are learning all about it such that when 'it' becomes the 'in thing' they join the consensus, leaving their followers to --Fate ?

-0-

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
Back