Is Carbon Monoxide Sensor Suitable For Wood Burner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has a wood burning stove in her living room. Recently I read about someone dying because of fumes leaking into the room on a wood burner, because of a flue fault.

Can she use a standard carbon monoxide alarm/detector for her wood burner, or are they only for gas installations?

Sponsored Links
Any fossil fuel including a wood burner can emit co2 so yes you can use a standard unit.Just make sure you get a BS approved one

My daughter has a wood burning stove in her living room. Recently I read about someone dying because of fumes leaking into the room on a wood burner, because of a flue fault.

Can she use a standard carbon monoxide alarm/detector for her wood burner, or are they only for gas installations?

It is now a requirement for a new installatio. DO get her one.

Sponsored Links
Also make sure you get either a battery or mains operated unit and not one of those stick on patches that change colour! Also need to bear in mind that some units have an expiry date (sensors don't always last forever and may need changing after 2 years)

As said previously, they are mandatory! As is adequate ventilation

Building regs 2010 document J clause 2.34 on page 41
Doc J

Ensure CO alarm is certified to BS EN 50291:2001 or 2010

It is very important that it is fitted in accordance with the instructions provided.

if you have the money why not treat her to mains powered battry back up pro installed.

if on a budget then a battry one with some spairs and one that meets requirments as some one else said.

If the OP noted Expertgasmans advice aboit it being mandatory, she would have boughther daughter one 5 months ago!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back