£100 bonus for switching off at peak time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The grid seem to be seriously thinking about rolling out a bonus to the people with Smart Meters, who reduce their consumption from 4 to 7pm, as a means to limit peak teatime demand.

Sponsored Links
The grid seem to be seriously thinking about rolling out a bonus to the people with Smart Meters, who reduce their consumption from 4 to 7pm, as a means to limit peak teatime demand.
Its a ridiculous idea.
If significant numbers of users all decide to start using their electricity at 7 pm when they are allowed it would cause problems with the surge in demand.

Its a ridiculous idea.
If significant numbers of users all decide to start using their electricity at 7 pm when they are allowed it would cause problems with the surge in demand.

That makes an assumption that significant numbers of customers both have a SM and that they are willing to delay until 7pm - most will not be able to. There is already a surge/peak, they trying to get a proportion to move their peak consumption.

Sponsored Links
That makes an assumption that significant numbers of customers both have a SM and that they are willing to delay until 7pm - most will not be able to. There is already a surge/peak, they trying to get a proportion to move their peak consumption.
Hence why its a ridiculous idea.
If a significant amount of users signs up to the idea it would cause surge problems when it was the permitted time to use at 7 pm or whenever.
If, as you say there won't be a significant amount of users signed up for cheap rates, then there won't be much reduction of peak time usage so there is no point doing it.

But different users could get different permitted times to smooth things out.

SM's allow them to log consumption down to a 30 minute resolution. They are talking of enrolling all of the supplier in England and Wales into the deal, and as said above, they could stagger the deal by suppliers or even individual customers.

Smoothing the curve works very nicely to drop really expensive electricity. Most of the plans I've seen require you to use power at a low period to get the bonuses.

OFGEM have thought about this stuff

Why not? Perhaps if they didn't have them, the cost wouldn't have to be included in our bills, that would be more beneficial to most.

Many meters were due for replacement anyway, their replacement would have been part of your bill. My meters were 40 years old. Difference in cost = nil.

Many meters were due for replacement anyway, their replacement would have been part of your bill. My meters were 40 years old. Difference in cost = nil.

Good, as long as they last 40 years, I've heard they're already replacing them due to compatibility issues.

I've been resisting them until now as I don't subscribe to the fake savings - we stopped our customary "turn loads of lights on and put the empty oven on for a few hours every day to stop the electricity wires drying out" thing years ago. Now there are financial savings I might have to reconsider - but I think would need to be more than £100 a year.

Sponsored Links
Back