Electromax and Off-Peak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've got an Electromax boiler which provides hot water and central heating. My understanding of how it works is as follows:

It has two electric inputs. One off-peak and one 24 hour.

The 24 hour one powers the heat for radiators and the "booster" hot water tank.

The off-peak powers the main hot water tank and therefore only heats up, when required, during off-peak times.

Recently, I have got hold of one of those electricity usage monitors, and noticed that throughout the day (during both peak and off-peak times) there are spikes of power usage. By flicking switches off at the fuse box I've identified the source of power usage is coming from the main water heater.

Now the water shouldn't heat up during peak times, shouldn't it? Our meter is working as it should, so we are definitely on Economy 10. We always have hot water, so I suppose it could be worse...

Basically I'm after some info about what the likely cause is. I've contacted manufacturer and installer, and both are saying it's nothing that they have done, so I'm now in a bit of a loop.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Graham

Sponsored Links
If you don't have it, the manual can be found on the link below.

http://www.ribaproductselector.com/Docs/7/03727/external/COL4903727.pdf?ac=

As I understand it the boiler for the radiators does not have a store, so it can be powered at normal rate or off peak

The water store is separare, the cheaper rate gives it a start, but top ups can be required during the day depending on usage.

Some electricity suppliers offer afternoon boosts at lower costs, so you can just set the central heating system to operate at these times if required.

Can you define what you mean by "spikes of electricity"

Hi stem

What I mean by spikes is increased electrical usage. Sort of like when you put the kettle on.

Our off peak times are something like 0-5am, 1-4pm, 8-10pm GMT so it would make sense for the "spikes" (I like that description :LOL: ) to happen then, but they can happen at any time

If indeed it is supposed to do little "top-ups" 24 hrs a day, but leaves the larger top ups for off-peak times, then that's fine. It's just reading the instructions, I understand it to be that the hot water tank will ONLY heat up during off peak times. The boots function can happen at any time the user requires by pressing the 1 hr boost switch (therefore being independent from the off peak circuit)

OK, by "spike" I was thinking you meant a quick blip for a second or so. Obviously not. However, your description of how it should work is correct.

The central heating part has an electric boiler that is wired to a permanent electricity supply via an integral thermostat, and (clock / room thermostat if fitted) The heating is controlled by you and when "on" will use electricity according to the rate at the time.

The hot water system is separate. An integral vessel is fitted with two heating elements, a lower element wired to an "off peak" supply (a supply that is energised only when the off peak tarriff is operating) When the hot water "on" switch (far left on the control panel) is "on" the hot water will be heated automatically at the "off peak" rate. If the stored water is used up before the next "off peak" period operating the boost switch will operate the top element at the normal rate for 1 hour to provide a top up amount of hot water at the top of the vessel.

What you describe to me, suggests that the "off peak" supply to the water heater is not actually an "off peak" supply but is energised when it shouldn't be.

Sponsored Links
If you have timers connected to the Electromax, make sure their on times are synchronised with the Economy 10 times. Or it will cost you £££££££

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back