off-peak electricity issue - please help!

Hello all,

Thank you - I will find an electrician from the website you mentioned. I really am very grateful to all of you who took the time to reply.

Philippa

Sponsored Links
Hi Philippa,

I used to have some of those storage heaters - Dimplex I think. You are aware that they are affectively two devices in one case, a convector heater connected to the peak supply for anytime boost & a storage heater connected to the off peak.

The illuminated rocker switch & thermostat on the heater shown in your pic is for the convector heater only, the storage controls are further back (two knobs).

With on peak switched off & off peak switched on, the heater itself does not have any visual indicators of the fact it is charging.

Apologies if I've stated the obvious & hope this helps!

gman76 you are a genius! No, I didn't know that - until it broke I didn't really pay attention to it. I switched them both on last night and they were hot this morning.......I appreciate this makes me very stupid, but our flat is so well insulated that we haven't ever needed heating.

So, it seems I have a problem with my immersion heater! Its a Heatrae Sadia Megaflo - do I need a plumber or an electrician?!

Thanks again to everyone

Sponsored Links
I believe that is an Unvented cylinder, which needs a special qualifiication to work on (it is possible, but extremely unlikely, that they can explode given a combination of incorrect installation practices and faults) so not a job for a person without the correct training and certificates. I have an idea they are meant to be inspected at intervals.

Post a Q on the Heating and Plumbing forum, or ask the makers if they have a list of approved people.

You are sure the indicator lamp comes on at the local switch for the immersion heater? If so, the electric heater might have tripped due to overheating, this can happen if the gas boiler stat is set unusually high, as well as due to the electric heater itself overheating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back