£1600 per month basic income

I don't mean this study, i mean the whole concept of universal income.

The concept is at the experimental stage. You are asking people to guess how it will turn out. And throwing in your own guesses.

Trials, research and experimentation are more use than guesses

Sponsored Links
My take on it is that you are guaranteed £1600 a month. If you have no job, you get £1600 a month, if you earn £1000, you get £600, if you earn £1500 you get £100, if you earn £1600 or above, you don't get anything. I wonder if pensioners would get the £1600 a Monticello

You misunderstand

Sponsored Links
Someone might (quite reasonably) become fed up with work; that is a reasonable presumption.

Where I think you're making an unreasonable presumption is in that fed-up person throwing the working towel in altogether, and sofa-polishing for the rest of their days.

I contend that, with the security of a UBI, most will (upon becoming fed up with bus driving, as an example), move into parks maintenance, or mentoring disadvantaged kids, or social care...................

It could add up to a more flexible, responsive, and nimble workforce, better able to meet the demands of the economy at that particular time.
To the benefit of us all.
Or even reduce the need for the care sector by having time and income to be able to look after children or elderly

If everyone was entitled to this amount half the population wouldn’t want to work.

I would! I'd want earn more to add more glitz to my lifestyle.

Thanks Quote
And you would be welcome to. But it might also inspire those who work 40 hours and still cannot afford the basics

How will they run 2 cars, Netflix, latest Apple phone, holidays. heating the list can go on. Forget about what they run up on debt.
Its about life style. Live to your means.
Is it living or existing.

Which will be offset by ' cabin fever' sending people round the bend inducing neighbour quarrels, wife beating etc etc and an increase in alcohol and drug abuse which became evident during the lockdown.
Assuming everybody is locked indoors.

Many will be able to travel and spend, helping in other ways to reduce poor lifestyles

Someone might (quite reasonably) become fed up with work; that is a reasonable presumption.

Where I think you're making an unreasonable presumption is in that fed-up person throwing the working towel in altogether, and sofa-polishing for the rest of their days.

I contend that, with the security of a UBI, most will (upon becoming fed up with bus driving, as an example), move into parks maintenance, or mentoring disadvantaged kids, or social care...................

It could add up to a more flexible, responsive, and nimble workforce, better able to meet the demands of the economy at that particular time.
To the benefit of us all.
tbh I wasn't making that assumption, my point was for those of us in work some of the (non salary) benefits soon wear off, for some at least, however we keep plodding along. And, for those not in work, I'd still assert a higher % than reported are content enough to keep sofa-polishing as you call it.

Well I'd like to work, of course I would, but it's my knees you see ...

etc etc.

How will they run 2 cars, Netflix, latest Apple phone, holidays. heating the list can go on. Forget about what they run up on debt.
Who are "they". Do you know any of the thirty people on the pilot?

tbh I wasn't making that assumption, my point was for those of us in work some of the (non salary) benefits soon wear off, for some at least, however we keep plodding along. And, for those not in work, I'd still assert a higher % than reported are content enough to keep sofa-polishing as you call it.

Well I'd like to work, of course I would, but it's my knees you see ...

etc etc.
Equally some would be able to start their own business. With enough basic income to survive on and take the risk of the business working or not.

As always there will be those that don't want to do anything and those that want to do more.

The only other choice to make people work is maybe to stop all benefits? That's not a future I'd want

Tax would go up a lot to cover this if it’s implemented.

Ludicrous idea.

Sponsored Links
Back