£2bn home insulation scheme - how to get the cash?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In news today:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53313640

Hundreds of thousands of homeowners will receive vouchers of up to £5,000 for energy-saving home improvements, with the poorest getting up to £10,000.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak is due to set out a £2bn grant scheme in England for projects such as insulation as part of a wider £3bn plan to cut emissions.

The Treasury said the grants could help to support more than 100,000 jobs.

Labour said renters appeared to be left out and called for a "broader and bigger" plan to cut carbon emissions.

Under the Green Homes Grant, the government will pay at least two-thirds of the cost of home improvements that save energy, the Treasury said.

For example, a homeowner of a semi-detached or end-of-terrace house could install cavity wall and floor insulation for about £4,000 - the homeowner would pay £1,320 while the government would contribute £2,680.
I've almost finished insulating my home after 3 years ... is there any way I'd likely be able to get some grant for the last part? Maybe just the hallway could be done by an "approved builder"?

Sponsored Links
judging by the rubbish 'surveyors' that were used for CWI I would keep well clear.

So the government is likely to appoint one of their buddy's firms to look after all this work? Rather than just chuck some money at local builders?
Was wondering if there was a way to get a friend (who is a builder) to do the work and claim the grant.

wouldnt surprise me iff its more for getting good publicity
but most going to the cladding on tower block and other dangerously cladded buildings
saving 2/3 the costs to there mates who have to sort the cladding

Sponsored Links
If it's like the last Green Deal money it'll be snapped up in about 15 mins. Dedicating some of it to lower income brackets might help get it to people who need it more, but we'll have to wait and see.

It's not a bad idea in any way, but the amount is pretty small. Assuming a 4k average payment that's half a million homes out of 27 million or so.

Let's see the cost of insulation rise, either by supplier or by "aprroved government fitter"
That is how these grants typically work, make the public think they're getting a good deal.

As always with government (any government, not just this shower), it's a good idea, poorly executed.

It will supposedly cover 2/3rds of the cost, up to £5k, unless on benefits, then it will be £10k, and will cover it all

Let's magically see all applicable services increase in price to the maximum price that will be reimbursed, and the biggest measure, solid wall insulation, would still be out of reach financially for many people

Last edited:
So the government is likely to appoint one of their buddy's firms to look after all this work? Rather than just chuck some money at local builders?
Was wondering if there was a way to get a friend (who is a builder) to do the work and claim the grant.

Thats generally what they do, throw lots of money so they claim they are spending more than ever before. But guess what they are getting a crap outcome, crap job, paying more and getting far less thats just what they do with tax payers funds. Pass it to there private sector mates and probably getting something in return no doubt.

As always with government (any government, not just this shower), it's a good idea, poorly executed.

It will supposedly cover 2/3rds of the cost, up to £5k, unless on benefits, then it will be £10k, and will cover it all

Let's magically see all applicable services increase in price to the maximum price that will be reimbursed, and the biggest measure, solid wall insulation, would still be out of reach financially for many people
"on benefits" would include pensioners hard working people with kids ??
are you suggesting they should be excluded :D;)

No detail yet but not holding my breath, see what happens (but i wouldn't disagree with the cynics/realists above)

In news today: part of a wider £3bn plan to cut emissions.
?​
I'll take the new boiler - then the pilot light will no longer waste gas, and I might save up to a couple of £hundred a year:unsure:

Not sure exactly but it's a Potterton Kingfisher Mark 2 floor standing conventional flue. 40k btu.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back