Boiler SCRAPPAGE scheme - any good??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure you guys have all heard about this, is it any good? Is it a scheme worth doing?

Would a Saunier Duval fe30 qualify? :oops:

===========

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8440557.stm

Boiler scrappage scheme launched
A government scheme that gives households in England £400 off the cost of a new boiler will be launched later.

The boiler scrappage scheme was announced in the pre-Budget report last month.

According to the government it will help households cut their energy bills, reduce CO2 emissions and support thousands of jobs.

Up to 125,000 households in England could benefit from the scheme, which is costing the government £50m.

How do I do it?

To qualify households need to have a working G-rated boiler. It is likely to be G-rated if it is more than 15 years old.

Once you have found out if your boiler qualifies for replacement, the next step is to arrange a quote for a new one from a qualified installer. This could cost anything between £2,000 and £3,000.

Then, you need to provide the Energy Saving Trust (EST) with details of your old boiler and the installer you have chosen fit the new one. The EST will also want confirmation the installer has actually visited your home and provided you with a proper quote for the work.

Assuming all that is in order, a voucher worth £400 will be issued from 18 January. This will be refunded once the work has been done and the EST has received both the invoice for the work and the voucher.

The £400 rebate should take no more than 25 working days of the paperwork reaching the Trust.

Bigger deals

Energy companies are expected to use the scheme to drum up business. British Gas, the biggest installer of boilers in the UK, is planning to match the government's £400 discount.

“ I hope the new boiler will save me money in the long run, so it is worth the investment now ”
Catherine Allinson
Other firms are offering similar savings too. The government says the scheme will help to safeguard jobs across the industry which, it says, employs about 130,000 installers.

The government says upgrading a boiler can save a household more than £200 a year. It has also estimated that replacing 125,000 G-rated boilers will save about 140,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions a year.

Catherine Allinson, from Balham, south London, has had her boiler for more than 10 years and hopes to upgrade to a new one with the help of the scheme.

She said: "My current boiler is pretty inefficient, and has not been terribly reliable this winter."

"I hope the new boiler will save me money in the long run, so it is worth the investment now, and with the boiler scrappage scheme, I should be able to get a little bit of money off the full cost of the boiler, so that will help," she added.

Are you planning to take advantage of the boiler scrappage scheme? Send us your comments.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/business/8440557.stm

Published: 2010/01/05 05:00:38 GMT

© BBC MMX

Sponsored Links
lol yeah i've been reading up on it, and it does appear to be pants.

Heard a cracker this morning BG went to register the domain names only to find they had already been taken.
Guy gets the job of contacting the owners to see if they will sell them, contact number on the website. When he phones it the reply is " i am his mum i will just get him he is up in his bedroom".
Kid is ahead of the big multinational didnt hear how much they paid him though.

www.boilerscrappage.co.uk

Sponsored Links
I have a Thorn Apollo 30/50B it is 20 years old and I am keeping it. In fact my neighbour replaced his last year, for no better reason than he would like to have a new boiler. His old Apollo is now stored in my garage loft as a source of spare parts.
Ive read many reports on condensing boilers and my conclusion is this. If I fitted a new boiler I could hope to save up to £50 a year on gas. Put this against the cost of installation, I may get my money back in 40 years. However the likelihood is I would probabely need to renew the boiler again before that event Then there is the cost of service and repair of these very sophisticated boilers, you know what I mean, "sorry mate it looks like the boards gone That'll be £400 please. (Im old school Corgi retired)
As far as eco is concerned Ive not seen a report on the carbon footprint of the manufacture, transportation and installation of these boilers,not to mention the extra electricity they use, or do commercial considerations override this.
Keep repairing the old one till you have to put it down.

another scam :rolleyes:

Why is it a scam?

The government are offering £400 back.

Are you suggesting that the supplier will add £400 to the install or that the costs of recuperating the money paid for the boiler and install would outweigh the refund given?

Please explain. Thanks.

Well I have applied this morning and will let you know how I get on, not holding out much hope as the boiler is to be fitted in the next couple of days and they dont issue the voucher retrospectively.
Will keep you posted.

we replaced an old water storage heating system with a combi vaillant. We save £300 a yr in lower gas bills. Now paying £40/mth for gas. was paying £65.

Our neighbour has an old boiler which never goes wrong and i can see the point of keeping the thing. but a new boiler will save them lots of money and it will add value to the house. i reckon in the next 5 yrs they would save £1000-1500 per yr. We are staying in our house for 20yrs and so for us it is a no brainer to change boilers.

marsaday wrote

Our neighbour has an old boiler which never goes wrong and i can see the point of keeping the thing. but a new boiler will save them lots of money and it will add value to the house. i reckon in the next 5 yrs they would save £1000-1500 per yr. We are staying in our house for 20yrs and so for us it is a no brainer to change boilers.

look at some of these posts. People are looking to replace these modern boilers after only 8 years 8 years :confused: :?:

another scam :rolleyes:

IronNaz said:
lol yeah i've been reading up on it, and it does appear to be pants.

Neither of you have bothered to find the true information about the scheme, which is Here.

1. Only owners and landlords are allowed to apply.
2. You have to have a working boiler, unless you are over 65.
3. Although you have to get a quote from a Gassafe/Oftec etc installer, there is no reason why he needs to know that you are applying for a grant, so he will not be able to hike his prices by £400.
4. Once you have your voucher, you give the installer the go-ahead.
5. You pay the installer the full price.
6. You send off the invoice and voucher.
7. You get £400 back.

What could be simpler?

Said on the radio earlier that some energy companies were matching the offer & even doubling it to give a low more of a discount.

Said on the radio earlier that some energy companies were matching the offer & even doubling it to give a low more of a discount.
The customer can still get the £400 voucher in addition to any discount the energy company may offer.

Providing customer can keep it quiet they have a voucher then they will benefit but as you can find out if your entitled to it through the big players websites you can bet they will alter there prices when visiting these customers by not offering certain discounts.
So will some independents if they know as they do when they find out BG have quoted

as you can find out if your entitled to it through the big players websites you can bet they will alter there prices when visiting these customers by not offering certain discounts.
That assumes you have to register with the big player to find out if you are eligible for the voucher. I have just used the BG online tool and there was no registration - so they don't know about me.

One thing that no-one has mentioned is that it only applies to boilers which are G rated, i.e below 70% efficient. That includes a number of boilers where the efficiency has been estimated (shown by an X in Sedbuk).

There are a number of boilers with estimated efficiencies of just over 70%, which are excluded. It seems slightly unfair that they rely on estimates to determine eligibility. It might have been better to say all X rated or G rated boilers are eligible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back