04 VW Golf H/brake, ABS & Trac Control Intermittent ligh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my son has the above (1.4L). It has been driving ok. However, today he arrived home, turned the engine off and then back on again. The handbrake, ABS and Traction Control all came on and stayed on. He drove the car 3 miles and parked. When he started the engine again 5 mins later all the above lights went out and have remained out. It suggests to me that there are too many lights involved for it to be a loose connection. I want to know if there is anything sinister here or not. Is the car safe to drive? Assistance appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Was it wet? I would be willing to put money on one of the ABS sensors.

Get a garage who has either VAGCOM or decent OBD-2 diagnostic software, if the lights have been on the log will state which one it is.

VW's flash dash lights all over the place for all sorts of things, mostly to ensure you drive to your local main stealers in a panic thinking the car is about to explode.
My 03 Golf had the engine check light come on for an intermittent brake switch, it does the same thing if you have a brake light bulb out.
On my older Seat Leon, I had the engine check light up for a headlight out (and if I hadnt just replaced the turbo and sump I'd have been less concerned..)

Check out one of the VW Forums on the web before you rush to the dealers, chances are someone has had the same problem before and it might be a minor fix.

Sponsored Links
Back